[3830] SS CW K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:17:04 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  142
   40:  455
   20:  423
   15:  324
   10:
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

The bands, including 15, were all great from here, thanks to the new sunspot
that rotated into view just in time for the weekend! There was no trace of the
loud QRN on 80 that was reported by N2IC, about 400 miles east of me. It's nice
to see that Steve's station is working well. It was also nice to see KO7AA
(WB0O) doing well at his new station near Tucson.

My rate sagged a little in the second hour, I think because I stayed too long
on 15. The band was good, but most people had moved to 20. When I worked N6RO
four hours into the contest, Ken was about 50 Q's ahead of me, which gave me
quite a scare, but I managed to catch up later. Unlimited Class used to be a
poky little backwater category, but competition is sure heating up with N6RO
and now K3MM in there.

I guess I was tired on Sunday afternoon, because I got disconnected from the
Telnet node at about 2 p.m., and didn't reconnect. I just thought the spotting
activity had slowed down - duh!

I've got to do something about the little A3 Tribander that I use for so2r on
10, 15, and 20. It just is not loud enough to break the packet pileups. I had
to manually switch the six-pack to get through, and it's only a matter of time
before I accidentally do a hot-switch and fry something. I'd like to have a
nickel for every time K6RIM beat me out in the pileups. Those pileups have
grown substantially in the past couple of years as the popularity of the
Unlimited Class grows.

This year, as recommended by K6LA and others, I didn't use a database to fill
in the check and section. Hopefully my logging accuracy will show an
improvement. I tried to be extra careful to verify information this year, and
feel good about the accuracy of the log. We'll see how that turns out. At least
I didn't type NT for North Texas, losing six qso's for that (logged as Northwest
Territories) like I did last year! I also lost some Q's last year for operating
overtime, and I was careful about that too.

I think my noise-proof headphones (see cq-contest archives) really helped on
copying the weak ones. The only noise I could hear was my own heartbeat, and I
was able to sychronize my heartbeat to copy QRP'ers info! I did have one little
problem with the headset though, As the ear muffs compressed over time, the
little speakers inside got too close to my ears, and a loud signal would cause
the speaker to actually touch my ear, giving it a nasty 500 Hz buzz - ouch. I
had to pluck out some foam from behind the speakers to get more clearance.

All in all, not bad for a tribander/shorty forty at 48 feet and a couple of 15
year old TS-850's.

Thanks for the Q's, and see you on SSB!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

HOUR   80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   21       0       0       0     106     106     106
   22       0       0       0      73      73     179
   23       0       0      82       4      86     265

    0       0      20      56       0      76     341
    1       2      84       0       0      86     427
    2      11      64       0       0      75     502
    3       8      53       0       0      61     563
    4      22      39       0       0      61     624
    5      11      52       0       0      63     687
    6      28      38       0       0      66     753
    7      35      23       0       0      58     811
    8      25      13       0       0      38     849
    9       0       0       0       0       0     849
   10       0       0       0       0       0     849
   11       0       0       0       0       0     849
   12       0       0       1       0       1     850
   13       0       8      15       0      23     873
   14       0      13      34       0      47     920
   15       0       0      43       6      49     969
   16       0       0      18      24      42    1011
   17       0       0      13      27      40    1051
   18       0       0      16      27      43    1094
   19       0       0      27      14      41    1135
   20       0       0      13      30      43    1178
   21       0       0      31      13      44    1222
   22       0       8      28       0      36    1258
   23       0       0      31       0      31    1289

    0       0      14      15       0      29    1318
    1       0      26       0       0      26    1344

  TOTAL   142     455     423     324