[3830] SS CW N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 21:04:26 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    1
   80:   68
   40:  152
   20:  128
   15:   69
   10:    0
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a really great contest this year.  I went at it with
everything I had, and it paid off.  I crashed right through my
old 400 QSO ceiling to 418 Qs, and broke through my 60K points
ceiling for 62,700 points.  Even managed to put in the full 24
hours.  Both Qs and points were a 7% improvement.  My best rate
came in the third hour of the contest, with 32 Qs between 15 and
20m.  Never came close to that the rest of the contest.  Pretty
much all S&P, as CQing just wasn't a good use of my time.  Got
the same multiplier count as last year, 75.  If I could have
found a DE station, I could at least have swept the US sections
:-)  Also missed four VE sections--NL, QC, MB and NT.

I now have a better 80m antenna, as I'm using my 160m top-
loaded vertical on 80.  Worked stations farther east than in
previous contests, and more 80m Qs than ever before.

I remembered the advice not to hang onto a dying band too long,
so forced myself from 15m down to 20m, maybe a half hour too
soon.  Did it again when 20 started going soft.  I wound up with
fewer 15 and 20 Qs than last year, but way more on 40 and 80.
Even made my annual SS 160 QSO.  Nothing ever heard on 10m
though.  From the early after-contest posts, it looks like
no-one else did either.

I overhauled my WimpyWire antenna farm this summer, and it seems
to have helped.  With shorter feedlines, matching is better on
some bands, but others still have work to be done.  I eliminated
my top loading coil in my 160m vertical, which made it relatively
easy to load on 80m as well.  It certainly paid off in more 80m Qs
this year.

I enjoyed seeing how my fellow QRPers did, especially those with
access to an aluminum overcast.  Boy, am I jealous.  What a blast
it would be to put my K2 on some massive stacked system some day.

Now I'm looking foreward to trying out the ssb running of SS.  That
will be a totally new event for me.
Thanks to all for the Qs, and see you in two weekends.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude