[3830] SS CW N5OT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N5OT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 04:43:07 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5OT
Operator(s): N5OT
Station: N5OT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    1
   80:  180
   40:  784
   20:  388
   15:   38
   10:    0
------------

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

I was thinking 1300 QSOs would be a good goal:

YEAR - QSOs
-----------
2003 - 1207
2004 - 1240
2005 - 1256

After a really crappy start with only 7 QSOs after 10 minutes (don't ask me, I
still can't figure it out), I guess I spent the next 29:50 trying to figure out
what I was going to say to the boys at the local watering hole.  It must have
lit a fire under my butt, and maybe there was some help from conditions because
everyone seems to be up this year, especially those of us in the bottom half of
the USA.

>From Oklahoma 40 meters was definitely the meters to be using.  I was down
there on and off all day Sunday and always with productive rate (even at 12:30
in the afternoon - unbelievable).  That was great because I could S&P 20M
thoroughly.  15M was not so good from out here 20 miles south of zero-land.
Thunderstorms made 80M difficult (but not impossible) Sunday night.  Made one
SS QSO on 160M - a first - thanks to interest on the Topband reflector.

Bull Session:

Major upswing in courtesy this year!  Thanks!

It was great that more casual ops understood that "PREC" is that odd letter
that's either an A,B,Q,M,S or U, but there are still a WHOLE LOT of people who
just don't get it.

Seemed like an increase in the use of cut numbers and leading zeros.  Please
don't.  You may think it saves time but the opposite is true, and your theory
degrades rapidly when you're weak.  Take a clue from the top competitors, all
of whom are loud and none of whom use cut numbers and leading zeros in SS.

Some really nasty sounding signals out there.  Please make sure your radios are
not making the rest of us think your're and Adam Henry.

Quite a number of people whom I wasn't working sent me their exchange and went
away this year.  Whoever you are, you're not in my log.  Please pay attention.
I am very loud and very clear.  I always send the callsign of the guy I'm
working.  If it's not you don't send.  Thanks.

No more courtesy corrections when people call me K5OT.  It's coming out of your
log, not mine.  Learn the code.  Use your ears.  Quit using SCP in place of your
brain.

Q-guys: thanks for understanding when I CQ over you.  I do this because you're
too weak to work at the moment.  If you come back when you're louder (i.e. when
band conditions improve for the path between us) I'll work you then.

Congratulations to the top scorers in the continental US and Canada.  You are
truly the top ops in Sweepstakes every year.

73 - Mark, N5OT