[3830] SS SSB VY2TT(K6LA) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VY2TT(K6LA) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:30:31 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MAR
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  102
   40:  734
   20:  711
   15:  109
   10:
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My goal was to break the MAR B category record and get the sweep and I was able
to do both. I could have done better, but my off time strategy was poor and
being in PEI is not exception to the Sunday doldrums. My expectations of 80
meters for the last two hours was merely expectations. I was worried about VY1,
KL7 and KH6 for the sweep from here, but the 1st two called in early (and
relatively often) and I found PAC easy early Sunday.

Murphy paid a confounding, but fortunately short visit after my sleep break. I
had rebooted the computer and when I rebooted Writelog, it told me COM2 was
already in use and wouldn't let the W5XD box see it. This was particularly
confounding since this was working when I booted at the start of the contest
and I certainly hadn't changed any hardware. After looking at too many things
to remember, I realized that WinFAX, which I had installed on this trip, had
taken over the modem and was using COM2. I guess I hadn't rebooted since that
install and the software captured the port. Anyway, I disabled it and removed
WinFAX and I was back in business, but lost time in a 60 - 70 hour, not a 20
odd hour.

It was also frustrating to have tested my audio before the contest, following
Eric, K3NA's good NCJ article advice (well, at least 80% of the checks,) gotten
good on-the-air reports, including reports of DVK recordings, only to have a
number of guys tell me about problems with my audio. I'd muck around and they
would tell me it sounded better, but then a while later I'd get another poor
audio report.

One thing I notice is that there is a sharp point beyond which I can't turn my
mic gain on the PRO III down, or it completely goes away all at once.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT