[3830] SS SSB KP2TM(K9TM) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tim.online@k9tm.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KP2TM(K9TM) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:01:31 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KP2TM
Operator(s): K9TM
Station: KP2TM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VI
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is year two of the KP2TM station and with one SS from VI under my belt and
some time on the air from the station in other contests, I at least had an idea
of how the station played (last year's SS was the first time the station went on
the air).

The best I can describe this weekend is the tale of two contests.  There was
the first 18.5 hours of operation and then there was the last 5.5 hours of
operation (which was also the last 5.5 hours of the contest).  After 18.5
hours, I had 1900+ Q's and thought I was on track.  Last year I averaged 60+
Q's/hr for the last 5 hours.  So I was thinking 2200+ or better, which I
thought would be competitive.

Unfortunately, that isn't what played out this year.  15m took a dive early.
20m didn't play either.  20m seemed to be more of a transitional band than a
run band this weekend.  40m was a big disappointment on Sun eve (after a good
run Sat eve).  80m had so much QRN that it wasn't much good.

If you were doing the math, you figured out that after averaging over 100/hr
for the first 18.5 hours... it took the last 5 hours to get the next 100 Q's.
Words can't express the frustration.

I guess there's always next year.  Now to get ready for WW CW but first some
scuba, mountain biking, sea-kyak time, etc.  Then another weekend in the
chair.

Tim K9TM/KP2TM