[3830] SS SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:52:20 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  195
   40:  513
   20:  993
   15:  116
   10:
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Admittedly, I was less than enthusiastic about participating in Sweepstakes this
year.  The thought of slugging it out on 20m and 40m for over twenty hours among
the heavy splatter and buckshot seemed daunting.  My solution to this
motivational dilemma was to try something new:  Unlimited!

Overall, total raw Qs are down 115 from my 2005 bravo effort.  I was already
trailing 105 Qs from last yearâ??s pace after the first twelve hours.  That
proved tough to make-up.  In hindsight, three mistakes cost me:

Number one:  Leaving 20m for 40m too early the first night.

Number two:  Staying too long on 40m the first night.

Number three:  Moving to 15m at all.  In fact, I never should have left 20m
during the daylight hours (although, it was a nice break from the QRM!).

Speaking of QRM, if tuning-up on contesters ever becomes the best way to spend
a weekend, my wife has strict instructions to institutionalize me.  Surviving
the jammers, zombie ragchewers, frequency police, and crowded bands are
certainly part of navigating a successful SSB SS effort.

Thanks to all the great ops that made it into the log.  Happy Thanksgiving to
all!

73 de Mitch, K7RL