[3830] SS SSB KC5R Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KC5R Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:02:47 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KC5R
Operator(s): KC5R
Station: KC5R

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
  160:
   80:  130
   40:  161
   20:  186
   15:  162
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

My turn to gloat - Yeh, I got (2) NTs this time too (thanks guys). Just for
kicks, I even asked VY1MB to repeat his section.

Pretty much a full effort, although I had to watch the OSU-MI Football game
first. So I missed about 2.5 hours early in the contest. In the end, I got less
sleep and had a monster headache by about 6 PM on Sunday. I grinded away but my
last 2 hours were pitiful by even QRP standards (10 Q hours). Physically I was
drained, vocally I was tired (I'm asking Santa for a voice keyer, in addition
to my own Hooters franchise this year) and I had to get up at 5 AM Monday to
boot. I had to take a couple extra breaks. QRP in SSB is almost an athletic
event.

The good news was that my XYL didn't have to pass the code test on Sunday for
me to work LA. I got 2 of them (although I did not work W5WMU - he just doesn't
want to work me or something). The last 5 sections for me were QC, ME, NT, AK,
finally BC (I heard about 4 VE7s, but all were pouncing except the one I
worked). I practically cried as I worked my first sweep in 26 years of SS on
either mode (I probably operated about 15 of those years in one mode or
another)! Frankly, I got 2 of all sections except for QC, BC, ME, WMA, SC, NNY,
SFL, PAC, and ND.

Thanks for all the signal compliments, and the guys who listened up for me,
especially on 80 (except for N2BJ who said with a raspy NY gangster voice "You
Q guys are killing me"). Some favorites were K0BUD on 40 stopping his run and
asked me "WOW Q....so how much power are you running?" (I don't know what he
was expecting me to say), and NE3F on 20 saying he might as well not have put
up a 100' tower if he could do it QRP. Thanks (I think) for the compliment.
Both these guys were 30-40 over here, and I think I was 5-10 over there. Good
signals for me, except when you add in the QRM factor - it does make it tough
to run stations. However, in case anyone else ever wants to pay a compliment to
a nice strong QRP station, a better compliment would be, "Hey you've got a great
QRP signal. How 'bout you take my nice clear frequency while I go pounce a
little, and I'll come check on you later and run off those big guys that will
inevitably move 1 KC away and start CQing".

See you all. -Al