[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:13:31 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  374
   40:  203
   20:  202
   15:   56
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Actual operating time: 15 hours
 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 Nuttin' to brag about so I'll be briefer than usual.

 The good: I had some good runs on 75 and for about 90 minutes during the
 daytime on 40. It was nice to say hello to many of the veteran SS ops
 and PVRC members and recognize their names/faces. I didn't have any fights
 with the 75 meter crowd. One inventive ragchew group switched to USB and
 we shared the freq, I shifted down slightly; they talked forever but they
 were weak enough to be no problemo! I sporadically had some nice rates
 00Z - 101, 16Z - 100, 00Z - 71, 01Z - 65 Q's.

 The bad: 20 was a sea of QRM virtually all day Sunday, I couldn't run well
 all day until a brief great spurt around 2130Z ended by an East Coast station
 stealing the freq. I had a choice of 3 antennas for 40 which worked out
 pretty well during the daytime, but really sucked at night, really need
 a yagi to west. The lack of solar activity really hurts LP efforts with
 most everyone on 20 during the day and 75 at night. Once the skip zone
 started lengthening on 75 at 0115Z, I was dead in the water for running;
 some HP guy in the skip zone always slides on top of me.

 The ugly: I didn't sleep well Friday night and then the XYL needed to
 make a "DXpedition" to the grocery store. It was 5.5 hours after we left
 at 22Z before I was able to get to the radio. You wonder how it could
 take so long ? 45 minutes each way (yes, there is a store 5 minutes away),
 stop for lunch, farm market, meat market, supermarket, 1/2 hour to carry
 it all into the house and help put it away. I don't know why I just
 didn't turn on the amp and help the club a bit more other than that's
 not what I was planning originally. So with exhaustion and not being able
 to run plus a hurting neck I shut it down at 0155Z. WA8WV was 60 Q's
 ahead of me at about 0030Z Mon.; congrats to him and whoever had the
 intestinal fortitude to stick it out full time and win the division.
 I never heard NL, AK, or NT. I made a conscious decision not the hurt
 the rate by looking for NL on 20, but I did look for the other two mostly
 on the high and low ends of 20 reasoning that they would be buried in
 the QRM in the middle, wrong!

 Thanks for all the Q's and warm greetings. Unless condx improve, look for
 B precedence from me next year.