[3830] SS SSB N2GC Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2gc@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N2GC Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:04:08 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N2GC
Operator(s): N2GC + SAM (8 YRS OLD)
Station: N2GC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NLI
Operating Time (hrs): 6

------------
  160:    0
   80:  124
   40:   57
   20:   19
   15:   18
   10:    0
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Price of Sony PS-3 on eBay: $1500 - $5000

Price of an Amateur Radio Station: ? (don't want the XYL to know)

Price for doing a phone contest: 2 Tylenol

Watching your 8 year old son running guys: Priceless!

After 4 years of Kids Day and 2 years of FD. The contest bug has bitten my son
Sam. We started the contest by doing some S&P and he was comfortable with just
having to say the serial number and the DVK did the rest. Then I found a clear
spot high in the band on 75 (in between the guys complaining about contesters,
the government or their hemorrhoids) and started to run guys. He didn't think
he could do it. I kept coaxing him while I was running and after about 20
minutes I just switched headphones and DVK files on the fly. After the first
few QSO's I could tell the nervousness went out the window and he was really
into it. He kept watching the mult window too and gave a thumbs up everytime we
worked a new one. Unfortunately we could only put in about 6 hours and did not
get the sweep.

It was also nice to work so many other youngsters and YL's. Maybe ham radio
isn't dying after all. I would like to thank the many guys and gals that gave
words of encouragement to Sam during our QSO's. You should have seen the smile
on his face.

Now if we can get the FCC to relax these silly third party rules and let these
kids work some DX, maybe they will trade in their Sony's for Icom's!

CU this weekend
Mike, N2GC

BTW the ARRL License Manual is on Sam's Xmas list.