[3830] SS SSB K8BB Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8bb@comast.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K8BB Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:10:31 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K8BB
Operator(s): K8BB, WD8S
Station: K8BB

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  601
   40:  746
   20:  191
   15:  110
   10:
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

K8BB and WD8S Multi-Op from the main K8CC station, with K8CC Single-Op Unlimited
from the 10m operating position outside the main shack.

No SCP for us - real men copy what they hear! (We'll see what the UBN report
looks like ... )

First hour was great: 130! Then the next three hours hovered around 85 - not so
good. Finally, with a band change to 80m, hour 5 (!) was back up to 120. From
there, it tapered off as SS usually does. One of these years we'll figure out
the key to 600 QSOs in the first 6 hours ...

All Day-1 QSOs were all 15m, 40m, and 80m as K8CC was using the 20m antennas
for his Single-Op effort. Day-2 rates were decent enough and somewhat steady.
We only took one 30-min period off in the early evening, then ended at 0130z.
Overall we came up just a few QSOs short of our similar effort, two years ago.

Some highlights include making the Clean Sweep on Saturday night. Just after
WD8S hit the hay, VE7SZ called in at 0814z and was 30 over on 80m! I decided to
leave the 80m antenna pointed to the NW, hoping that AK would call in. *The very
next QSO* was AK, with our last needed mult!

We tried to conform to the rules and conventions of clean, ethical contesting:
we avoided running in the DX windows, we tried to be aware of the stations
around us so as not to park next to a "rare" mult, and once I abanonded my run
frequency when I accidently spotted a station on my frequency after working him
on the SUB-VFO.

While running on 3772kHz Saturday evening, two particularly loud stations
started a QSO right on my frequency and proceeded to accuse contesters of being
impolite and irrespectful of the DX window. Therefore, they were going to
intentionally QRM *ME* and take *MY* frequency for their use. After enough
seconds/minutes of this that I knew these guys indeed might not go away, I
addressed them and tried to plead my case that I was NOT in the DX window, I
had not done anything to harm their previous frequency or QSOs, and that I felt
I was being unfairly singled-out as a target for RF abuse. Furthermore, I had
been on this frequency (after I asked if it was in use) for hours and hundreds
of QSOs. I suggested, as politely as I could at that point, that we "work out a
compromise" or something. Having two antennas and five directions to from which
to choose, I was still able to make a few QSOs through their antics and they
eventually left, though not without making a final statement about my
character. In response, I resisted the temptation to "oink" into my microphone.
:-)

NA 10.64
FT-1000D x2 with TX interlock
15m: 5/5/5, 4L; 3-1000Z