[3830] CQWW CW OQ5M(ON5ZO) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on5zo@telenet.be
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OQ5M(ON5ZO) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:43:08 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OQ5M
Operator(s): ON5ZO
Station: ON5ZO

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: homesweethome
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:  320     8       48
   80:  631    16       72
   40:  605    21       86
   20:  768    30       82
   15:  476    24       69
   10:  104    16       45
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

What a contast! Isn't CW contesting to be filed under 'Hard Drugs'?

I enjoyed some very good runs: most of the time 'last hour' was over 90 and
even 8 hours of +100, with a top hour of 153 QSOs. That was new for me!

N1MMLogger with Microham's MK2R+ really is a killer combo. The weakest link in
SO2R is the operator. I need to practice. But it is so much fun.

The score was 2.35 meg with 40 minutes to go. I wanted to break the
psychological barrier of 2.5 million, so I really pushed the second radio
barefoot on 40/80 while running 160m. I calculated that I needed 4 to 5 mults
to get there, but after GJ2A, EA9EU, V26K I was out of luck - pile ups too big
for barefoot breaking. Then a CT1 called on 160m for a country mult! Add a
couple of QSO's 'et voilÃ?': 2 500 000. points...

I think I did not do too bad with my Field Day setup, but I am left with a lot
of 'what ifs'.

"What if" the WX was good?
I Lost the first night due to bad WX: no low band antennas up because of very
strong winds. I left the crank up tower down. I just don't risk damaging the
tower or the antennas. I put it all up Saturday night, in the dark, when the
wind was gone.

"What if" I could have used my new sloper array for 40m?
My backup 40m vertical came down earlier this week (Murphy!!!): worn out fiber
mast due to UV exposure for over 5 years. Applied a quick and dirty solution on
Friday and it held up. I will replace it with aluminum tubing!

"What if" there had not been the unexpected RFI on 20/15m?
It made the keyboard lock up or disable some keys. That wasn't there before! So
I needed to solve that in the contest. Tin foil and ferrite everywhere!

"What if" I had a second amp for the second radio along with a second
tribander?
Now I had to SO2R with the S&P rig barefoot, and I have only one tribander for
20/15/10m.

Still: CW contesting is the greatest thing there is in the hobby. If it weren't
for that...

73 ES TNX for the QSO de Franki ON5ZO / OQ5M