[3830] CQWW CW K7BG SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K7BG SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:07:26 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Montana
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   30    11       19
   80:   98    26       47
   40:  128    27       56
   20:  355    34       90
   15:  107    20       42
   10:   23     7       14
------------------------------
Total:  741   125      268  Total Score = 766,743

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

I didn't plan on operating as much as I did, but the opportunity presented
itself to spend a fare amount of time in the test. Much of this time was spent
trying to pierce the auroral oval. I would send little bits of RF on their way
towards Europe, but they would hit the contraceptive oval and come wimpering
back all disturbed and such. I tried to explain to them that there was a food
fight on the sun resulting in cosmic food particles bombarding earth and this
is why the oval got so big and mean for some of us up north. Some of the little
RFs did get through though so who knows what will happen in 9 months?

Best part of the weekend was wishing I was still in college so I could write a
paper on pileup psychology. The contest pileup is a wonderful expose of all 7
of the deadly sins. I too thought it was quite bad this weekend and I must
admit I even joined in on the riot mentality a few times. The funny part is
trying to hack through the JW pile (eventually succeeding) only to find that a
CQ five minutes later up the band yields a TF for that tough zone 40. Yes, the
Guy who built the RF medium has a sense of humour.

I didn't do as much CQing as I should have, but it was fun to scan the bands
S&Ping up and down.

The six inches of snow and freezing cold weather made for some cozy heat coming
from the old Alpha 374A. I dusted it off and put it inline so I could make
quicker band changes. It has a fairly new pair of 8874s in it and it ran like a
champ on all bands.

Wish I had spent more time Saturday and Sunday morning working the long path on
the low bands and short path on 15 and 20.

I thought I might beat K5ZD, but then the paint fumes left the basement.

Thanks for the QSOs. I hope to give this a real serious effort one of these
years.

73,
Matt-K7BG