[3830] CQWW CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4zfe@g4zfe.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:31:37 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 9M2CNC
Operator(s): G4ZFE
Station: 9M2RPN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kuala Lumpur
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   81    20       37
   40:  669    32       88
   20:  629    33       91
   15: 1032    29       90
   10:   74    17       37
------------------------------

Club: VKCC

Comments:

Station: IC-756 Pro I, IC-PW1, 400W output
Force 12 C3-S at 12m
40m Inv V at 12m
80m Inv V at 12m

A great weekend of radio. Despite the WWV numbers there were some great band
openings and I spent more time than usual hunting mults/DXing. As ever CQWW
exposes openings that are not seen during the rest of the year due to lower
activity e.g 599+ Carribean stations at 02:00 local time on an otherwise dead
20m band.

80m: my cloud warmer antenna wasn't really up to the job. Next year I will
switch to a vertical for LF and try and get a RX loop going. The contest QTH is
on public land with many people around so beverages etc are out as is a 160m
antenna.

40m: wow! The band was really quiet here as the tropical thunderstorms were not
around during the weekend (but back now!). The mostly QRN-free band allowed a
lot more QSOs to be made. Saldy the OTHR radar was about and took out sections
of the band at a time forcing me higher up in the band than I really wanted to
go.

20m: noisy here and I just couldn't get a good run going. With such marginal
condx a 2-ele beam at 12m is too low. The east cost North America over the pole
openings were shorter than usual and a number of the regular contest QSOs were
missed. As usual the last hour of the contest was fun on 20m with a good
opening to the US (W5/6/7/9/0) and the packet pileup certainly woke me up.

15m: despite the low SFI some good runs were had. It was good to work so many
JA stations.

10m: more like a VHF contest waiting for signals to rise in the QSB. It was so
frustrating hearing locals - 9M8YY and VK9AA - working Eu stations that I just
could not hear. Maybe a 2-ele at 12m doesn't cut the mustard on this band
either.

I particapted in Livescores and found it very helpful to keep myself in the
operating seat. I hope that more DX stations will join next year.

Livescores and the K5ZD audio streams are the future of contesting. I missed
K5ZD this year and I will miss comparing my signal with other S.E Asian
stations from his MP3s.

Thank you for all the QSOs.

73 de Rich, G4ZFE/9M2CNC/HS0ZGZ