[3830] CQWW CW M6T(G4PIQ) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4piq@btinternet.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW M6T(G4PIQ) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:04:45 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: M6T
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G0KPW

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: JO02RF
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80: 2514    34      109
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2514    34      109  Total Score = 604,318

Club:

Comments:

Rig : FT1000MP + Elecraft K2 + PA. 4 square + Dipole @ 70ft. 2 x 180m Beverages
W/E.

Soapbox
Not had the time to devote to radio for the last year due to the arrival of my
baby daughter, but managed to plan in the CQWW CW weekend at least. We're
starting to re-build the old M6T multi-multi station at a new site and this
seemed a good opportunity to put the hard work in to build up the 80m 4 square.
Many thanks to Darren, G0WCW in particular for taking two days off work and
another day at the weekend to help me get this antenna up, and to offer to deal
with the chore of laying out 128 radials.

Before the contest I thought that going for ON4UN's 1993 record (631k) would be
a good ultimate target, but probably not achieveable. I also thought that I'd be
very happy if I made 2000 QSOs and 2500 QSOs was the most I could hope for. I
missed John's record by a bit (and a bit more when you consider what I'll lose
in log checking) because I didn't find enough mults, but also my pts/Q are too
low. However the QSO totals exceeded my wildest expectations (2634 raw QSOs).
Congratulations to Chris, SP7GIQ for doing enough to break the record though,
and I suspect we may see some more big scores to come.

I tried to receive in band with beverages & a K2, but didn't have good enough
isolation, or have the SO2R stuff set up at with any automation - just ran out
of time (was still building the station at 2358). Therefore my ability to look
for mults was a bit hampered.

I wasn't sure how good conditions really were since the system was new to me
(although it seemed to be working very well), but it's clear from the results
that conditions were really excellent. Disappointed to miss zones 1, 12, 27,
31, 36 and 37 - especially 1, 12 & 31 which I know were worked in this part of
Europe - I called in those directions but no-one found me and I didn't find
those mults on the 2nd Rx.

Highlights
- Operating from a quiet location again
- Some great hours on day 1
- Nothing blew up
- Being run off my frequency by a real W7 90 mins after sunrise (in a bizarre
sort of way a highlight)
-Being called by many rare things like UA0YAY, TZ5A, 3XD2Z, VQ9JC, RK0LWW,
JT1CS, HC8N (huge), and the end of contest double mult goodies like VK4EMM,
VK6HD & HS0ZDJ (very loud & especially pleasing since I'd called HS0ZEE earlier
in the afternoon who just CQed in my face, but who I understand has noise)

Lowlights
-Two blatant frequency steeling exercises from Eastern Europe single ops. One
of the even had the nerve to tell me off for steeling his frequency (and I
hadn't moved!)
- Missing a lot of easy mults (and some hard ones)
- Clicks (feeling self righteous having just done the FT1000MP click mod myself
- everyone should do it)
- Not having the time to prepare quite well enough.
- Not having done enough CW in the last 18 months
- Not getting enough sleep in general

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs. Sincere thanks to Bob, G4BAH for the use of
the station. Thanks to Dave, G4BUO & Justin, G4TSH for additional help in
getting ready, and to Andrew G4ADM for a fabulous roast dinner on Sunday night.

As it's a new station I'd particularly appreciate any relative signal reports.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ