[3830] CQWW CW W8QZA SOSB/80 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W8QZA SOSB/80 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:33:17 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W8QZA
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOSB/80 QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:  39     13       19
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  39     13       19  Total Score = 2,816

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT-817
Ant: Butternut HF-2V

I operate only QRP since getting back into ham radio 17 years ago.

During that time, I have had problems getting any effective signal on 80 meters
from my small city lot. For 17 years I have used a DX-LB trap dipole at 30 feet.
With that antenna I typically make 5 or 6 Qs with VE and XE on 80 meters in a
contest despite my best efforts.

At the suggestion of my life long friend N0KE, Phil, I finally decided to try a
Butternut HF-2V. So I bought one and put it up about 10 days before the contest.
I threw three radials in the nearby flower beds and along the house.

In the few days before the contest, I was able to work 5W0OJ and E51QMA (No.
Cooks), Qs that were absolutely unthinkable with my DX-LB!

The contest results are ten times any 80 M score I had in the past. Along with
the two new ones before the contest, I worked 11 new ones during the contest,
mostly in the Carribean bringing my 80 M DXCC total to 25.

I appear to have the 80 M QRP record for W6.  I also barely broke the 80 M QRP
record for Zone 3, but the previous holder of that record N7IR, Gary, has
smashed his old record for Zone 3 and will retain it with a great score!

Making these DX contacts on 80 meters after 17 years of frustration on that
band has made this contest the most thrilling and satisfying contest I have
ever operated.

Thanks to all who listened for my weak 80 M sig.  Especially VP5W who worked
with me for a couple minutes to be sure he had my call and zone correct before
he went on. He and several others get "Top Op" for digging my call out of the
noise!

Bill   W8QZA qrp
San Diego, CA