[3830] CQWW CW OH2BH(OH1WZ) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ilkka.korpela@helsinki.fi
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OH2BH(OH1WZ) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:28:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OH2BH
Operator(s): OH1WZ
Station: OH2BH

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:
   80: 2210    37      127
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2210    37      127  Total Score = 580,000

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Our 5th (very hard) try at the European record from 1993 by ON4UN.
At (60N,24E), where Martti's 3-el yagi sits, you can reach zone 9
in the west and zones 22, 24 and 26 in the east from below the
aurora-affected polar path. When the auroral oval "shrinks", that
is when the Northern magnetometers show K-indeces at 0-1-(2), we can
have a direct path into zones 4, 5 and 25, where the 3-point QSOs
are. Last time it happened in CQ WW 1995.

Well, something they call the "Coronal hole 248" decided to play
with us this time. K-indeces were 0-1 still on Wednesday, but on
Thursday they started to raise and reached levels of 4-5 here in
the North. In OH2, you are just south of the oval, so there's so-
mething to be worked from the south, but I guess the situation in
places like OH8X, TF4M and JW1CCA must have been different. Guess
it was the same in UA0, KL7 and VE6.

I monitored VY2ZM and W1MK during the contest to see how the skip
was. There is darkness between OH2 and W1 from 21Z untill 08Z. Signals
varied from S0 to S9+10 and it was easy to determine the "movements"
of the "aurora cloud". Changes could be fast, 40dBs in a matter of
minutes.

Well, this much for complaints. Great event once again. Great
competition, operators and level of activity. It still is a thrill to
operate a yagi on 80, although it was the 5th time. I'm happy for the
high scores in EU. I know that the 1993-record was broken and maybe
we got it "home", who knows. We will hear about it at CCF's cruise in
January at latest: http://www.contestclubfinland.com/

"Time-Zone" distribution of OH2BHs QSOs
http://www.helsinki.fi/~korpela/PU/CQWW2006_Day1.gif
http://www.helsinki.fi/~korpela/PU/CQWW2006_Day2.gif