[3830] CQWW CW G4EDG SOSB/160 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4edg@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G4EDG SOSB/160 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:53:56 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G4EDG
Operator(s): G4EDG
Station: G4EDG

Class: SOSB/160 QRP
QTH: Cornwall
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:  293    10       59
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

After having entered SOSB QRP on all bands 80 to 10 over the past few years, it
was time to have a go at 160 QRP. I was generously offered a seat at Janâ??s,
G0IVZ to use his antenna set-up. Over 2 weekends we put up two inverted vees,
one at 120â?? firing E/W and another at 100â?? firing N/S as well as a 600â??
beverage in a westerly direction. So even with just 5Watts I was hoping for big
things! I was not to be disappointed; the first hour resulted in 38 Qs, 6 Zones
and 28 countries. Working North America was reasonably easy, but my little
signal lacked the oomph to work the Caribbean, even when I was calling alone,
either due to finding them first or during a lull in the pileupâ?¦.a few ?? but
that was all, although I did manage VP9I, I think the terrific performance of
the beverage increased my expectations a bit too high! Enjoyed cracking the
pileups of the closer in stuff. Conditions on the second day seemed a little
down on the first, and I couldnâ??t really work anything to the east until
after 2030��.well into darkness. UA9 (Z17) was the furthest east worked.

Gear used was a little unconventional, for receive an old Kenwood R-820 Rx with
500 and 250 Hz filters, and on transmit a homebrew TX with a pair of 2SC1971s in
the final. This set-up is full QSKâ?¦. essential for pileup cracking using QRP.

Most disconcerting moment����seeing my SWR/Power meter reading over
5Watts when receiving whilst Jan was operating on 40M���sorted with a
160m BPF!

Hats off to the great scores by those in the HP category.

73 Steve G4EDG