[3830] SS SSB AA4LR1 Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB AA4LR1 Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:26:11 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR1
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4.3
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   00
   80:   25
   40:  110
   20:   83
   15:   47
   10:    0
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
A3S/A743 at 15m (10,15,20,40m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)
115 foot untuned doublet at 10m (40, 80m)
R7000 at 2.5m (10-40m)
Half-size K9AY loop pointed North (not switchable)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/KAT100 running 100 watts
Kenwood TS-430S running 100 watts
Homebrew K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Comments:

Well. Not what I expected. I had tried my usual trick of finding a cozy spot on
20m just before the contest, but the band was already way too crowded by the
time I showed up. Instead, I started by S & Ping on 15m. This was very
effective, as I was getting through on the first call. Back to 20m after 20
minutes and more S & P. By the end of the first hour, I found a spot on 20m to
call CQ. End of the first hour was 63 Qs. Second hour is just as productive
with about 70 Qs, mostly on 40m. By the end of the third hour, I'm at 184 Qs
and this ain't such a bad start after all!

Wham! The forth hour hits and I'm just not getting anywhere. 25 Qs. By 0110z -
I hit the wall. The contest just stopped being fun. So, I stopped.

I had expected a full-time effort and a score as good or better than last year.
I just think I wasn't well-prepared this time. Too many long hours at work the
couple of weeks before and not enough down-time.

Got on for a little more than an hour on Sunday afternoon just to hand out a
few more Qs. I think my full-time efforts are going to be limited to NAQP for a
while.

One high note to end on. This year, I was sporting a half-size K9AY loop for
receive on 160-40m. I had used it a few weeks before to work XF4DL on 80m and
160m, then I repositioned it so I could use it for the domestic contest. I
wasn't convinced it was working well at all.

The K9AY loop made a huge difference digging signals out of all the QRM. It
really didn't help me work anybody I couldn't hear on the transmitting antenna,
but it did help me work them faster, without any time-consuming repeats. I'm
probably going to build it on out to a full set of two loops switchable in four
directions.

Interestingly, the loop is supported by a small oak tree. The sides are
literally supported by the limbs of the tree. I though I might have to use some
short guy ropes. I'm using a counterpoise at the moment, but Gary recommends a
short ground rod instead. Plenty of improvements to make.