[3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:07:54 -0700

Comments:

SO1R Gear:
* FT920 + N1MM Logger
* Tribander at 45'
* 40M half-square (2)
* 80M delta loop
* Ground-mounted all-band vertical
* Inv-L 160M (60' high, 70' horizontal)

Mults and Qs are at personal best levels. Took my off time in one block, 3:30
p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (2230 to 0030z) and I think that worked out well. Tricky
timing for an SO1R op in BC, as 20M is still very active by the time 40M begins
to open at about 6 p.m. (0100z).

Slow first hour on 15M but wanted to wring everything I could out of a very
weak band before it went stone cold. In the late afternoon (0030z), W7RN walked
me up from 20 to 15 to 10 for my only successful move all day. Was surprised to
hear him on 10M, and I stayed long enough to find one other station, for two
mults total there (double last year's count!).

20M was kinder this year than last, with more Qs and mults. At least some of
the credit goes to the MFJ-1026 noise canceling box, which simply allowed me to
hear more callers by knocking down BC Hydro's shocking S-8 power line noise to
S-2 or so.

40M was better this year with the half-squares than with the low 2 element
inverted-V beam last year. It opened long (VE1) in the late afternoon.

80M was punky -- lots of natural noise and static crashes -- but still better
than last year for activity. More regional Qs, though mults were down, (18 vs.
23). Ran a single 3/4-size 80M delta loop, vs. last year's 2 element wire beam.
Snapped one side of the delta legs during my afernoon break (inspecting and
re-tensioning all the wire antennas), left it dead thinking I'd just use the
vertical. Then, after seeing how poorly the vertical played, took 12 minutes
off to go out at dusk and lower the delta loop, repair it and haul it back into
the air. Worked FB.

160M wasn't as good as last year. The inverted-L is up just 60' and horizontal
wire is 70' long and slopes down to 30' AGL at the W end, so it's a bit lower
and longer than last year and I noticed a difference. Down a few Qs and mults
there.

Radial system used by both the 160M L and the all-band vertical is compromised
vs. last year with just 10 wires on the lawn right now. Last year's aluminum
fence wire (36 radials) is still under the grass, but I think about 20 of those
radials have disintegrated. I'm rebuilding the system using insulated copper
wire (light guage salvaged from old twisted-pair control cables). Hope to
finish the installation over the next few days, to beef up performance on the
lower bands.

Found W9RE on 80M with 30 ticks left, got his attention through the noise,
rattled off the exchange and finished with 12 seconds on the clock and not much
left in the tank. Just how I like it. Had a very good time overall. I saw many
examples of courtesy shown in this one, plenty of new calls heard, and lots of
familiar ones. The best 10 hours on the air anyone could want.

Year-over-year for August NAQP:

       Qs  Mult   Score
2007: 481   131  63,011
2006: 457   129  58,953
2005: 419   129  54,051 <- added tower and beam
2004: 175    72  12,600 <- wires only
2003: 261    86  22,446
2002: 191    72  13,752

-- Bud VA7ST