[3830] CQWW SSB K4RO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K4RO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:37:51 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   19     8       15
   80:   53    15       34
   40:    7    17       45
   20:  247    23       82
   15:  401    25       88
   10:   91    10       25
------------------------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I actually had a pretty good time despite a lack of running conditions:
226 contacts were made calling by CQ, with about 90% running on 15 meters.
678 contacts were made by S&P. There always seemed to be a better average
(hourly) rate available by S&P than by calling CQ. This is not as true
from here on CW.  Twenty meters in particular did not support running
Europe from here at any time during the contest. A power outage during
the peak Saturday morning European run did not help a whole lot. I wound
up operating exactly 24 hours. I've got to save some energy for CW SS,
naturally.

I think J3A was the only six-bander worked. I never did find an opening
to Europe on 10 meters. I love finding guys like ZD7X all by themselves
before the packet mobs descend.  Speaking of which, the pileup behavior
seemed to have improved a notch from previous years. I swear more people
are learning the importance of signing their call sign also. Keep up the
good work everybody!

Sorry to hear that the Caribbean got clobbered so hard with lightning;
it sounded tough there at night.  Congrats to all the Single and Multi
champions who slugged it out. It looks like there was a lot of exciting
competition, and some close races. The activity level in the CQWW SSB is
simply amazing. I used to hate phone contesting, but I learned some of
the "Zen of phone contesting" after a few multi-op experiences at loud
stations. You just have to accept the QRM, and let your brain get the
call signs. After a while, it almost becomes natural to hear calls pop
out of ear-splitting splatter on both sides of the bandpass slot.

CU in the CQWW CW contest.   (And Sweepstakes next weekend!)

73

-Kirk  K4RO