[3830] SS CW K7BG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7BG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 16:35:25 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  195
   40:  349
   20:  491
   15:   49
   10:
------------

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

The station worked better than it ever has this year. I was able to run on 20
using two beams into a StackMatch and S&P up the band with the other rig down
to within 10KHz of my run freq with absolutely no problems. Very little stray
RF running around the shack this year. I had the 765 spread all over the
basement floor for a month until only just last week when an internet plea for
a failed part got me back in business thanks to K1RCâ??s kind efforts.

Mentally I just never seemed to get in the groove. I had the worst rate in
years the first hour. Part of it was a non-ham visitor that showed up taking
away some of my concentration, but I took some time to evangelize radiosport to
him. Yeah, I think Iâ??ll blame that guy. By the time I worked Randy, K0EU, he
was about 80 Qs ahead of me and the gap only widened as I heard him a few more
times.  By the time I went to bed I was already over 100 Qs behind my own last
yearâ??s effort.

My off time strategy is to go to bed and get a good nightâ??s sleep. I probably
need to re-visit that strategy as I slept over 5 hours leaving little time to
take off on Sunday. I have always thought there were some pileup hungry guys
that showed up near the end just to hand out Qs and have a DXpedition style
pileup, but the last few years have been dreadfully evident that this is not
the case. My last two hours up to 0300 were excruciatingly vacant of Qs, more
so than it seemed like it used to be.

Congrats to Dick, K4XU, he was ahead by a fair amount when I worked him and
then I heard him with several hours to go and he was only ahead by three Q#s. I
had 16 dupes in my log so even at that point I figured it was probably a lot
more than a three Q gap if his log was free of dupes. He was a dozen or more
ahead near the end as he seemed to be finding fresh meat better than I was.
Nice job Dick.  It looks like my run of 11 straight NW division low power
plaques has come to a conclusion. Congrats to all the nice â??Aâ?? power
efforts out there.

I was running on 40 late Saturday and heard a weak station
callingâ?¦.â??whatâ??s that?...1Jâ?¦V_1J_...â?? Son of a gun if it was J. up
there on top of the world. I swung the antenna around in 50mph winds and worked
him. Thanks for the patience and the time it took to turn the antenna J. I heard
VY1EI later but didnâ??t work him. The last mult worked was Rhode Island. I
worked 7 Idaho stations and 3 NDs. That was sure a refreshing change.

On Sunday, 15 kept pretending to be a nice band, but it had an attitude problem
so I made it go sit in the corner and kept going back to 20.

My new neighbor just down the road 150 miles loaned me his StackMatch so I gave
it a work out on 20. With one antenna fixed on W6 (a brainstorm this same
â??neighborâ?? had)  it really helped me work some guys I usually donâ??t or
only catch on the low bands. Thanks Dr. Pat, N9RV. You may not get it back.

Good to hear and work all the guys on from here in the Big Sky Country of
Montana and a nice QRP effort from a hard contesting KB7Q down state. Nice job
Gene.

P.S. On the subject of dupes, I often work them just because so many stations
never send the call of who they are working and and I think assuming stations
are in the log has cost me some Qs in the LCR reports. Iâ??ll usually ask B4?
as a question instead of B4 as a statement of fact. Sometimes they say â??noâ??
which means they could have worked a station under me that I couldnâ??t hear the
first time I thought we worked or else they logged me as K7DG or such. Sometimes
if I work a station and have any doubt at all if I was the guy they were working
I will ask for the check again. I usually donâ??t bother with giving the Q
number of when I have them in the log unless asked as that takes as much time
as just working them again.

Matt--K7BG