[3830] SS SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:03:20 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 23.3

------------
  160:   17
   80:  791
   40:  238
   20:  353
   15:    0
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Believe it or not, I actually ENJOYED a lot about this contest.  As usual,
highlights are the on-line rag chews with friends.  I did sign "Bravo" as my
precidence, however I was definitely assisted.  My personal goal was 1,500 QSOs
which I fell slightly short of - however I am pleased with my overall (best
ever) single-op Sweepstakes effort.

I borred a great idea from W3LPL, K3MIM and W3IDT this year and configured WX3B
as two by three radio single-ops for 20/40/80.

N3CA, Michael did a 5 hour blast as WY3P (The Carroll County Contesters Club
Call) and cranked out 480 QSOs by 73 sections - simply amazing!

I started the contest in my element - 20 meters.

This is definitely the "800 pound gorilla" band at WX3B.  Unfortuately for me,
this band closes up shop awfully early these days.

When I moved to 80 (early), I was measurably ahead of just about everyone,
including my friends who would eventually whip me to a pulp!  In hindsight, I
should have stayed on 20 for at least another hour or two.

Well I sat down on 75m getting ready to hit 1,000 QSOs by midnight; and
unfortunately I discovered that my station was ill-equipped to deal with the
GAP in propagation.  Long skip was great, but all the bread/butter close-in
stuff was GONE.  Twas the weekend where phased verticals and beverages were
needed.  Congratulations to Tom, NI1N for a truly magical score on 75 meters
and a GREAT overall effort.  Tom does this with ONE RADIO!

I ended up with about 800 Total QSOs Saturday night but I had to work like a
DOG for those 75m QSOs.  Eventually 75m did open locally, but not until way
after midnight.

Got a couple hours sleep and fired up on 40 for an immediate excellent run.

N3CA joined me at about 8:45am Sunday and I gave up the 40m band to him and got
on 20, which was a great strategy for team PVRC, but a horrible one for myself
personally.

20m was a slug-fest of already worked guys, and while I enjoyed winning a bunch
of frequency fights, I lost the rate war.

Eventually Mike went to 20 and I took back 40 and my rate immediately improved,
and so did my enjoyment of the contest.

Went to 75 early again...great conditions..at first..however the bottom once
again dropped out and all that was happening was long skip.

Stole the N3KS/NI1N idea to run a few on 160 and that was good for a few rapid
QSOs.

Tried to catch Kam, N3KS at the end of the contest in clamied QSOs but just
couldn't do it.

What a great contest - and to be anywhere near K3MM's score...is something I'm
pretty darn happy about.

By the way, did anybody else besides me think it's interesting that the man in
charge of the "Top Gun" sweepstakes mugs happens to be the #1 Top Gun himself?

73 & bring on some DX contests with simple exchanges!

Jim  WX3B