[3830] Rus DX 4U1ITU M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, f6irf@free.fr
Subject: [3830] Rus DX 4U1ITU M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:53:26 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: 4U1ITU
Operator(s): F6IFY F6IRF F8CMF RW3AH SV3SJ
Station: 4U1ITU

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Geneva
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   269    14       40        28
   80:   654    15       51        53
   40:  1153   287       73        60
   20:   726   428       63        68
   15:   114     7       44        15
   10:    12     1       10         0
Total:  2928   752      281       224  Total Score = 10,686,305

Club: I.A.R.C.

Comments:

Band  Mode  QSOs    Pts   Cty   Sec
         1.8  CW     269    1275   38   28
         1.8  LSB     14      44    2    0
         3.5  CW     654    3403   50   52
         3.5  LSB     15      68    1    1
           7  CW    1153    6354   63   55
           7  LSB    287    1847   10    5
          14  CW     726    4567   27   18
          14  USB    428    2964   36   50
          21  CW     114     561   42   15
          21  USB      7      35    2    0
          28  CW      12      38    9    0
          28  USB      1      5     1    0
       Total  Both  3680   21161  281  224

       Brut Score : 10,686,305
              Rig : IC765 + PA / IC756pro3 + PA (500W<Power<1000W)
         Antennas : SteppIR 3el, FB53, 40-2CD, Dipoles
             Misc : N1MM-logger, Microham microkeyers, Band-decoders and
Antenna switching system, ICE band-filters
              ops : Phil F6IFY, Pat F6IRF, Seb F8CMF, Andrey RW3AH, Nico SV3SJ

The RDXC is one of the club favorite contest. This year the operation, was
decided during the dinner following the IARC General-assembly, where we met
with Andrey, currently in Geneva for his professional duties. A day trip to
Montichiari (N.Italy) "DX and Contest corner" event, during the previous
weekend provided an excellent opportunity to build-up the "team-spirit".
Station preparation was done by Nico and myself on thursday and Friday. The
club Butternut vertical being out of service after the winter heavy winds, we
installed temporary 80 and 160 dipoles. We also installed a K9AY, but the
antenna being just a few meters away from the 80m dipole the terminating
resistor burned during the first 80m run... anyway, the performances of the
K9AY were strongly affected by the proximity of the transmitting dipoles and
the RX-performance improvement was far from being obvious (NE being our worst
direction in terms of noise !). By chance, this has been the only technical
problem experienced during the contest. We finaly decided to go for the MO2T
category just a couple of hours before the start, after we could verify that
the level of mutual-interferences between the stations was acceptable (it was
actualy excellent with near to zero mutual interferences - except Seb's audio
volume when operating SSB ;-)

Conditions have been extremely poor, with low SFI, high Aurora and K-index. On
top of the usual "high man-made noise", characteristic of the station, we also
had a few static-rain showers during the night... As in 2006 and despite
Andrey's talents, we never managed to keep a sustained SSB-run going, thus our
low percentage of SSB-Q's vs CW-Q's. Anyway, knowing the limitations of the
station, we did not expect to be competitive and our objective was clearly to
give the multiplier to a maximum of participants, more than fighting for the
first place; the essential being that we really had an enjoyable weekend and
great pile-ups... A bit of E-sporadic allowed a few 10m QSO's at the end of the
contest and 160m has been better than we expected with a s9+10 noise floor !
Personnaly I will keep in mind the first hour on 80m CW, with the most compact
pile I have heard for quite some time (amazingly, and despite the fact that the
80m antenna seemed to work OK, all our SSB-attempts on this band remained
unfructuous !)

Thanks to Attila OM1AM, president of IARC and station manager for his support,
the assistance in station configuration and for the QSL-work. All logged QSO's
will be confirmed through LOTW, conventionnal QSL's will be replied through the
bureau or direct through IARC P.O. Box 6 CH-1211 Geneva 20 Switzerland.
Thanks to all for the QSO's and to the "Soyuz Radioljubitelej Rossii" for the
perfect organization.

More stats, pictures and a video will added soon on http://f6irf.blogspot.com/

You may also visit Andy's home page http://www.qsl.net/rw3ah/eng/e_rw3ah.htm
and the IARC homepage http://life.itu.int/radioclub/  (where you can consult
the "online log" which will be updated after the contest log deadline)

On behalf on the team and IARC
Patrick F6IRF

Just a few statistics:
CTY    TOT  160   80   40   20   15   10
4J       3         1    2
4L       2                   1    1
4O       4    1    1    1    1
4X      15         1    9    4    1
5B      16    2    2    4    5    3
6Y       2              1         1
9A      31    6   12    9    3         1
9H       1    1
9K       2                   2
9V       1              1
A4       1                        1
BY       2              1    1
C9       1                             1
CN       2              2
CT       3              3
CT3      2    1              1
CX       2         1    1
DL     253   34   75   94   39    9    2
E7      12    2    3    4    3
EA      26    3    7   15    1
EA8     11    1    2    2    4    2
EA9      3         1    1    1
EI       2              2
EK       3         1    2
ER      12         1    6    5
ES      30    4    5   11    9    1
ET       1              1
EU      38    2    7   10   16    3
EX       2                   1    1
EY       3              2    1
F       36    6    8   11    5    3    3
G       75    8   16   37   12    2
GI       3              1    1    1
GM       4              1    3
GW       2         1    1
HA      47    5   15   25    2
HB      24    2    8    6    4    3    1
HL       2                   2
HZ       3              2    1
I       79   15   19   37    5    2    1
J2       1                        1
J3       1              1
JA      21              7   14
JT       1                   1
K      350        62  169  119
KP4      1              1
LA      30    6    4   11    7    1    1
LU       4                        4
LX       3    1    1    1
LY      96    9   25   30   31    1
LZ      44    3    6   15   15    4    1
OE      17    2    5    7    2    1
OH      43    4    8   14   15    2
OH0      8    1    2    2    2    1
OK      80    8   27   34    7    4
OM      33    4    8   15    5    1
ON      10    2    4    4
OX       1              1
OZ      16    2    4    3    7
P4       3         1    1         1
PA      36    4    8   18    5    1
PY      17             11    1    5
R1FJ     1                   1
S5      36    9   12   10    4         1
SM      38    4    6   10   16    2
SP     133   12   21   53   38    9
SV      24    2    2    7   13
SV9      2              1    1
T7       1    1
T8       2                   1    1
TA       5              4    1
TF       7              2    5
TK       1         1
UA     985   60  157  356  392   20
UA2     25    2    4    6   12    1
UA9    268    4   25  115  120    4
UN      29         3   13   11    2
UR     317   32   44  117  116    8
VE      47         5   22   20
VK       2              2
VQ9      1                        1
VU       1                        1
XE       1              1
YL      47    4   10   13   16    4
YO      59    7    9   27   15    1
YU      50    7   16   21    3    3
YV       7         1    4    1    1
Z3       4         1    3
ZC4      3              1    1    1
ZL       3              2    1
ZS       4                   2    1    1
Total 3680  283  669 1440 1154  121   13

OBL  TOT    160   80   40   20   15   10
AD      13         1    5    7
AL       7         1    3    3
AM       1              1
AR      13    1    2    5    5