[3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:14:35 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): N5RZ, K5OT, K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: EM00uf
Operating Time (hrs):

    6: 1392   264
    2:  147    47
  222:   44    15
  432:   59    18
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1642   344  Total Score = 600,280

Club:

Comments:

ARRL VHF QSO SUMMARY SHEET
    Contest Dates : 14-Jun-08, 15-Jun-08, 16-Jun-08
    Callsign Used : K5TR
        Operators : N5RZ, K5OT, K5TR
         Category : Limited Multi-Op
 Default Exchange : EM00

    6CW      171         157        157      32
    6SSB    1300        1235       1235     232
    2CW       10           8          8       3
    2SSB     140         139        139      44
  222CW        6           6         12       2
  222SSB      39          38         76      13
  432CW       10          10         20       3
  432SSB      49          49         98      15

 Totals     1725        1642       1745     344

    Final Score = 600280 points.

The station:
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/blanco/k5tr_station.html

 50Mhz - Elecraft K3  -  3cx800 amp (800 watts)
         7 element yagi at 75'
         7 element yagi at 30'
         6 element yagi at 25' fixed west
         2 phased vertical dipoles at 35' / 15'

144Mhz - Kenwood TS-850S - DEM transverter - 3cx800 (800 watts)
         17B2 17 element yagi at 35'
         8 ele yagi at 60'

222Mhz - Kenwood TS-850S - DEM transverter - Brick (100 watts)
         15 element yagi at 38'

432Mhz - Kenwood TS-850S - DEM transverter - Brick (100 watts)
         31 element yagi at 42'

This year Ralph (N5RZ) joined me for all of the contest and Larry
(K5OT) over on Sunday morning and stayed until the end allowing N5RZ
and myself some rest from the radio. Ralph did most of the 2m and up
operating and I did mostly 6 meters.  Larry (who lent us his new
Elecraft K3) only operated on 6 meters.  I think he wanted to make
some contacts on his new radio since before this weekend he and it had
only made two CW contacts.  I think we broke in in pretty well. The K3
proformed well I am glad I got to play with it during a
contest. Thanks Larry.

As many have commented the Es from this part of the country was very
good with good long lasting openings on 6 meters and even some good Es
on 2 meters. At the height of the 2 meter Es we did try some CQs on
222 but did not make any contacts via Es on that band. Our longest
lasting 2 meter Es was from a period of about 1411z on Sunday until we
logged the last one at about 1550Z.  I don't think the band was open
to 144 Mhz the entire period but it was for most of it. Mostly this
opening was into the EN grids due north of us - so it was not into a
major population center and this limited the number of contacts.
Later on Sunday when I was operating on 2 meters we has some spotty
and short lived Es into Florida this opening did not last very
long. The Es in this years contest was by far the best Es on 2 meters
during a contest for me.

Six meters was very good this weekend. WD5K posted a great 6 meter
score from the Dallas area (about 200 miles north of me). W5PR and
K5QE have some great scores on 6 meters from the eastern part of
Texas.  K5QE is about 270 miles east of my location and W5PR is about
200 miles to the east in the Houston area.  I have been saying for a
number of years that given a good Es weekend it would be possible to
make over 1500 contacts easily on 6 meters and I also think it is
possible to make 2000+ contacts if the openings really last.  It is
nice to see W5PR prove me right.  I do wish our 6 meter QSO numbers
were a bit better but looking at W5PR's rate sheet and also hearing
him working stuff a number of times when we did not have conditions
tells me that things were a bit better to the east of here.  I am
looking to make 2000+ contacts during this contest on 6 meters in the
coming years.  The trend of more and more people getting on the band
for the first time continues.  We worked a number of well known HF
contesters for some of their first attempts at the band.  I think this
trend will continue as more and more of the contest grade radios
include 6 meters in the same box.  Too bad they don't also have 2
meters.

We had some of the best and longest lasting double hop conditions ever
in a VHF contest from here - working many of the FN grids that are
just beyond my single hop range.  I never did get an opening to the
bulk of the Caribbean stations that have been reported.  We did manage
to work an EA8 and one lone ZF. The only bad thing was that there was
not much of an opening to the west coast from here.  On and off on
Sunday we were working west but the opening was not very good and
never produced much rate or many grids.  There just did not seem to be
many stations on the band out west when it did finally open a bit.  I
think that the really poor Es on Saturday and most of Sunday for the
west coast made people turn off their radios early.

Lots of good rover activity around the state.  We still need to get a
rover to go to the DM9x grids to our west as we often do not work
anyone in many of those grids on any bands and never any contacts on
222 or 432.

Thanks for all the contacts.
Congrats to all the fine scores.

        HOUR       50        144        222        432       TOTAL
        ----      ----        ----       ----       ----      -----
         18        125         14          6          7        152    152
         19        146          8          5          5        164    316
         20         82          6          1          4         93    409
         21         10          5          0          1         16    425
         22         16          7          2          3         28    453
         23         10          5          1          2         18    471

          0         65          6          3          6         80    551
          1         24          5          0          1         30    581
          2         35          5          1          3         44    625
          3         40          4          1          2         47    672
          4         22          2          1          1         26    698
          5         27          1          0          1         29    727
          6          0          1          0          0          1    728
          7          0          0          0          0          0    728
          8          0          0          0          0          0    728
          9          0          0          0          0          0    728
         10          0          0          0          0          0    728
         11          3          7          4          4         18    746
         12          5          5          2          1         13    759
         13         74          2          2          1         79    838
         14        102         24          0          0        126    964
         15         96         12          2          4        114   1078
         16         86          3          1          1         91   1169
         17         99          4          1          0        104   1273
         18         88          4          2          3         97   1370
         19         40          2          0          0         42   1412
         20         34          2          4          3         43   1455
         21          6          2          0          0          8   1463
         22         22          3          0          1         26   1489
         23         35          1          1          1         38   1527

          0         28          1          1          1         31   1558
          1         56          3          2          3         64   1622
          2         16          3          1          0         20   1642

  TOTAL           1392        147         44         59

Grids with 10 or more contacts all bands.

   1.         em10   59
   2.         em00   44
   3.         en91   32
   4.         em73   29