[3830] IARU K5KG SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5kg@arrl.net, fqp@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K5KG SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:54:39 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    0      14     4       2
   80:   12     173    18      16
   40:   99     580    27      22
   20:  529     516    25      34
   15:  105     167    15      16
   10:    4      21     6       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  749    1471    95      91  Total Score = 1,093,308

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I Managed to put in a full 24 hours this year.  Found condx to be reasonably
good, although I thought that condx were better in the second half of the
contest rather than in the first half.  Unfortunately, 10m never did really
materialize.  15m did open briefly to Europe.  I was impressed with the
quantity of HQ stations this year.  It seemed like there were lots of
them...tnx guys for the effort.

Our newly purchased used Icom 756 ProIII failed at 4am.  It just turned itself
off, and then came back on.  But it went off again 5 minutes later, so off the
bench she came!  Fortunately, I still had my ProII, so I finished the contest
with that radio.

The final 5 hours of the contest were grueling.  20m was dead, which left 40,
80 and 160 as the only choices.  Eventually, 40 and 80 were worked out, and 160
was of little use to me due to only having a poor antenna.  I was using the 80m
inv. vee barefoot on 160, so it was only good for near-in QSOs.  So these last
5 hours were a matter of scanning 40 and 80 looking for anything workable.  I
did manage to work a KH6 and KL7RA on 80, and I believe that is a first for me
from  my FL QTH.  In the last hour of the contest, 20m came alive with Euros,
but propagation was such that they were difficult to work and impossible to get
a run going.