[3830] CQWW CW 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:13:26 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 47.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  480    19       61
   80:  879    23       87
   40: 1680    27       91
   20: 2231    30      100
   15: 1342    28       90
   10:   35    11       15
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Once again did my logistically intense CQWW weekend.  Flew overnight from
California to New York on Friday night, a week before CQWW.  Spent the weekend
with my family and flew to Barbados early Monday morning to set up the station.
 Flew back to New York Tuesday night but the flight was delayed and got to the
house at 4AM. Spent Wednesday and Thanksgiving with my wife's family.  Flew
back to Barbados the Friday morning of the contest, a five hour flight, plus
losing an hour.  Arrived at the station around 21Z to make sure it was working.
 Drove to the house to rest for an hour, take a shower, and eat.  Then back to
the station for final set up and then operated 48 hours with a single 20 minute
break.

The inability to adequately prepare for the contest precludes my best
competitive effort so I just focus on doing my best and having fun.
Physically, I felt great all weekend as the 48 hour contests seem to be getting
easier. Mentally, I was definitely tired as I was not as effective with the
second radio and occasionally struggled copying the code.

Conditions were much the same as WW SSB, perhaps slightly worse.  That would
make them the worst I have ever seen from Barbados.  I worked more European
stations on 80 than I did on 15. However, 160 conditions were outstanding and
made the weekend worthwhile.  I felt like I could hear and be heard.  Worked my
first zone 17 and may have worked more EU in this contest than all my other CQWW
contests combined.  I actually hated to see the sun come up.  In retrospect, a
single band 160 may have been a better choice.

A bad storm took out my TH6 with water in the traps on Saturday night.
Replacing this antenna is the top project for next year as this has happened
before.  I had to use an old C3 that I happen to have mounted on the tall tower
fixed on the US since I have no other place to store it.

Congratulations, to Andy, N2NT/V47NT on a great performance.  Even with full
preparation I do not compete with his result.

Thanks to everybody for the Q's and to my wife Kathleen, whose support makes
this all possible.

Also, congratulations to the nation of Barbados on its 42nd year of
independence on 11/30.  It is great to see the pride and joy of a truly
welcoming and friendly people that have been so wonderful to my family and I.

QSL via NN1N

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A