[3830] ARRL 160 KD2MX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KD2MX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 09:01:06 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KD2MX
Operator(s): KD2MX
Station: KD2MX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 400  Sections = 51  Countries = 11  Total Score = 51,646

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

FT897@100W - ~600 loop @25'
Quite a weekend.  It'll be interesting to read what the experts say.
Propagation in the east seemed great to me.  Overall, conditions here were
unlike anything I'm used to plus there was lots of activity.  I had excellent
luck on the DX front, for a little gun with nothing more than wire strung up
around the yard, logging 11 countries.  What was amazing was that I worked most
of them with one or two calls. I'm just hoping I didn't imagine it. Working EU
on 160 is very special here and to work a half dozen easily was lots of fun.  I
can imagine what the big guns did.

I don't stay up all night for these events but basically take multiple naps of
an hour or two.  I often have better luck in the early morning after some of
the mayhem has died down.  This approach worked well as I worked 5K0T on one
call early Sunday.  Hearing not much else, I got some sleep for an hour or two
and came back to find HI3A nearby and got him easily too.

On the negative, propagation to the west coast was poor.  I couldn't even work
NK7U and missed AZ and NV too, two which are usually pretty easy.  My only real
disappointment was not being able to work KG7H as I need ID for WAS (and AK).

All in all, a big success for me as I blew away my previous high score and
ended up with 400Qs, a personal high.  I even got in a few decent runs, a
welcome change from my usual S&P.  The last QSO was tough though, squeezing in
at 1558 after nearly 20 minutes looking for #400.