[3830] King of Spain SSB ED5T(@EA5ELT) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] King of Spain SSB ED5T(@EA5ELT) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 06:28:12 -0700
                    His Maj. King of Spain Contest, SSB

Call: ED5T
Operator(s): EA5DF, EA5KV, EA5GS, EA5ON, EA5GIE, EB5EKT, EA5VR, PA5CW
Station: EA5ELT

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Torrent
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1579   306  Total Score = 640,458

Club: Torrent Contest Club

Comments:

Our first entry in the King of Spain contest, more than anything as a trial run
before IARU to make sure that our new setup was working fine. A lot of work has
gone into the station over the last three months, apart from the new antennas we
also changed a lot of shack stuff including a new internet connection. Although
lots of people have pitched in to help, special thanks to Elias and Paco for
all their fine work on the wifi and the PCs, what a difference,.

Antenna wise pretty much all working fine. We had to restring one end of the
80m bazooka, which had been taken out in some indiscriminate tree felling, we
had a job finding the wire under all the logs! Still having problems with the
Explorer 14 sometimes hitting the adjacent water tower and not turning.
Otherwise the antennas worked fine.

Shack wise this was our first go with the new two position setup in the bunker.
 The new dedicated PCs worked almost fine, one needed a reboot Sunday morning
but the disc partitioning makes this process a lot quicker than in the past.
The ALS500 worked fine too, we were a bit doubtful how it would work 24h solid
but with an extra sucker fan next to the heatsink it ran cool the whole time.
We didn't really notice much difference between this and the kilowatt that
wé'd have had with either the SB220 or the expert. We just had to be a bit
more careful keeping the ALC under control. The stubs would have worked better
if we'd connected them up right but even so it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't like
to do a serious Multi 2 with that level of interstation interference, but for a
casual contest like this it was acceptable.

The contest itself was fun, a bit too quiet at night though since we coincided
this weekend with Field Day so a big lack of USA stations to work. Specially
noted on 10m where we were spotted as strong into the east coast but nobody
there to work us!

It would appear the rules were not updated this year to reflect the new 40m
bandplan and this caused a bit of upset. When I went to double check the rules
in English, there is no mention at all about the bands or frequencies. But
that's my fault since I was the one in charge of translating it. Oops! So URE
contest committee please take note....

Thanks to EA5VR and PA5CW for coming to see us, we hope you enjoyed yourselves.

Equipment:
Run 1: FT2000, Acom 1000
Run 2: TS850, ALS500
2 x PC running N1MM