[3830] IARU N5AW/0 SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU N5AW/0 SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:43:16 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N5AW/0
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW/0

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:   27            12
   40:  160            40
   20:  141            51
   15:   59            19
   10:   28             8
-------------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

N1MM doesn't give an easy breakdown of Zones and HQ mults by bands in the
summary ...or if it does I haven't discovered how to find it.

Made my annual pilgrimage to Colorado to make me appreciate my antennas at home
(and get away from the Texas heat). It can be frustrating but it is also amazing
what you can work at times with 100 watts and a low wire. Also decided this
would be a good time to try out N1MM â?? only one radio and no way I can be a
top competitor. A few mangled exchanges but by and large it went smoothly.

My past experience with the G5RV antenna is it works pretty well on the lower
bands but poorly on the higher ones. This proved true again. I worked most of
the DX I heard on 40 and the little that came through the static on 80... with
an antenna only about 25 feet high. Twenty was tougher but I do have a ground
plane to supplement things there. Fifteen was down right frustrating. Heard
many Europeans Saturday morning but only a handful went in the log. Called and
called without success. Even US stations would CQ in my face. Need to do
something about this as sunspots increase.

I don't know if it is just conditions and the â??little pistolâ?? DX stations
aren't heard but it seems like nearly all the DX activity in this contest is
from the headquarters stations. Perhaps it is the multiplier scheme that gives
a premium for those contacts â?? not sure that's really fair but those are the
rules.

Some may wonder why I tack on the cumbersome /0 to my call. Just want to let
those who may be working on awards that I'm operating from a different
location. The /0 actually works to my advantage at times as it seems to catch
attention in pileups. Surprisingly when a station is struggling to copy my weak
signal the /0 is usually what they get first.

Had a good time. One of these years maybe I'll stay home and see what a
difference real antennas make!

Station: Elecraft K3 100 watts
Antennas: G5RV at about 25 feet, roof mounted 20 meter ground plane
Logging: N1MM + WinKey on an IBM laptop

Marv, N5AW