[3830] IARU W1AW/KL7(@KL7RA) Headquarters HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kl7ra@ptialaska.net
Subject: [3830] IARU W1AW/KL7(@KL7RA) Headquarters HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:09:58 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1AW/KL7
Operator(s): AL7IF N1TX AL2F KL7RA N5RZ K1EA K1KI N0AX WL7O KL7OU KL1RL KL1JP
NL7Y AL1G
Station: KL7RA

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    36      4     6        4
   80:   237     61    20        8
   40:   727    657    33       19
   20:  1890    888    50       48
   15:   855    163    29       18
   10:   324    109    16        6
-------------------------------------
Total:  4069   1882   154      103  Total Score = 5,871,679

Club:

Comments:

Being W1AW has to be something special. I remember the W1AW building on the
cover of my novice license guide and 49 years later I'm W1AW for 24 hours.
Life is good.

We assumed summer time conditions during the low spots and we would have two
bands open and no 160 or 10. Hope for a few hours on 15. Ended up 15 meters was
open 24 hours and we were running five bands at the end.

All the Alaska stations were linked to Kenai using Win-Test thanks to F5HRY,
DL6RAI, N6TV and others. We kept the network up and running for testing where
we practiced trying partner mode and all the features this program allows for
the IARU headquarters stations.

I had super ops fly up for this event and they got their radio fix for the
weekend. These guys are pros and go around the world contesting but even they
seemed "up" for the IARU and using W1AW.

The Alaskan stations all spent months getting ready for the "big one".

Debbie KL7OU and Frank WL7O installed a new Tower and 40 meter Yagi. Larry,
N1TX and his crew at KL2R worked on new antennas. Kris, AL2F in Anchor point
put out miles of radials for our 80 meter SSB station. Corliss, AL1G operated
all day and night as our 20 meter SSB station mostly by herself (without
M&M's???) from her soon to be super station in Willow. Big plans for Willow,
look for them soon as they recover from the loss of KL7FH, sk.

Here in Kenai, KL7RA was the six band CW station and host to the operation so I
fussed with all the "issues" getting things ready with software/hardware, etc. I
was mostly a nuisances to everyone and to the software dudes and my main IT guy
Wigi, AL7IF who did all the magic router "stuff" you need to make an operation
like this work. Contesting use to be radios and antennas but no longer.

Thanks to Gator for his "idea", N1NN and the ARRL staff as well as Dave, K1ZZ
for the use of the W1AW call.

Added bonus, Ward, N0AX and Tom, K1KI gave talks at the local ham club meeting.
K1EA even showed me how to use the CT features of WT and why he did it that way,
cool. Everyone reports a great time. I love this hobby. 73 Rich KL7RA