[3830] NAQP SSB K7IA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K7IA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:31:57 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SW New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 5:23

  160:
   80:
   40:   12     6
   20:  230    40
   15:    3     1
   10:
-------------------
Total:  245    47  Total Score = 11,515

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Team: Arizona Outlaws 2

Comments:

My second NAQP SSB.  I made all of 24 Q's last August, so this one represents a
bit of an improvement!

I checked 15 meters a few times and worked all of the Californians I heard...

No surprise that 10 was empty.

Not a SSB guy, I just worked S&P for nearly two hours.  Finally, my ears and
brain had enough of the QRM on 20 meters, and I thought I'd quit and go back to
the SARTG RTTY contest, where the FSK tones are more pleasant to my impaired
ears (I started the RTTY test on Friday evening).  But with nothing to lose, I
gave running mode a go, for the first time ever on SSB.  Ears/brain must
acclimate to noise conditions if the main tuning knob is left alone, because
suddenly, stations answering my calls became tunable and copyable.  I ran at
96/hour for a couple of hours, until the voice gave out (my only .wav file in
N1MM is the CQ message).  This SSB contesting is hard on the body, with poor
hearing, wimp larynx, and fat fingers!  But it surely was fun, and I traded
pleasant remarks with more than a few operators, emphasizing "Party" over
"QSOs!"

Another enjoyable aspect discovered:  for years, I've been working guys in CW
contests, but for the first time, I heard their voices today.  Thanks for ALL
of those Q's to W9IU, KI6VC, VE2XAA, W5WMU, VE3MIS, KO7X, W2LE, K0MPH, and any
others I may have omitted.

Special thanks to the operators who were very patient with my first attempt at
running SSB.  I'm sure I frustrated many who waited patiently in the pile, and
I hope that the New Mexico exchange partially made up for it!

This was good fun, and I'll not be pulling the plug on SSB contests!

73,
Dan K7IA