[3830] SS CW W1MX(KB0VVT) School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kb0vvt@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1MX(KB0VVT) School Club HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:23:52 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1MX
Operator(s): KB0VVT
Station: W1MX

Class: School Club HP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

------------
  160:
   80:  301
   40:  246
   20:  301
   15:   33
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

It has been a couple of years since I have operated during SS CW.  It was a lot
of fun!  While attending college, I have not had much free time available to
operate.  However, in the summer of 2009, I did operate during the CW NAQP from
W6UE on the Caltech campus using the name TIM.  I was living on the Caltech
campus that summer working as a summer intern at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
 I thought TIM | MIT was a good name to use since I am a student from MIT and
our mascot is Tim the beaver.  By the way, I graduated from MIT this past June
with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Degree.  I am presently
studying in the Masters program here at MIT.

I am very pleased that the ARRL changed the rules in the School Category
allowing Alumni to operate along with students and faculty/staff of the
institution.  I operated the contest alone as I was a little too late in my
recruitment attempts.  I would like to thank Tom N1MM for considering working
with me but needing to decline because of prior commitments.  Perhaps next
year!

This year I decided to use the Elecraft K3 that I assembled nearly two years
ago along with an ACOM 2000A amplifier.  The antennas at W1MX consist of Mosley
PRO 96 at approximately 80 feet, Mosley TA 36 at approximately 40 feet, and a
full sized 160 meter inverted-V (switched to be used as an 80 meter vertical)
at almost 300 feet hanging from the Green building.

Before participation in each contest, I always review the ARRL results database
to see how the best of the best performed in the section and or division that I
plan to operate.  I particularly look at the distribution of the QSOs made per
band.  This year, thanks to a tip passed along by Randy K5ZD, I was able to
view the rate sheets readily available on Randyâ??s website to gain an even
clearer roadmap to success.

This is the third time that I have operated from W1MX.  In each case, the above
data showed me that 40 meters should be my workhorse band.  However, I can never
get the 40 meter section of the Mosley PRO 96 to give me very good rate.  I am
beginning to wonder if the antenna has problems on 40 meters.  I never thought
about it before, but the PRO 96 antenna always requires a tuner on 40 meters no
matter where one operates.  I think that there should be at least 100 KHz of
bandwidth with VSWR of 1.5:1 or less.  Perhaps the PRO 96 needs a little
maintenance.  It has been up in the air of quite a long time.  Next year, I
would be tempted to throw up a 40 meter inverted-V or vertical to see if there
was any improvement in 40 meter performance.

I hope that Chris KA8WFC and Ryan AG4ZP are able to rally the troops and put in
a nice showing during SS Phone from W1MX at MIT.  I will be attending my
grandmotherâ??s 70th birthday party.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.  I will have some photographs available on the
ARRL Soapbox in a few days.

73,
Rebecca KB0VVT