[3830] CQWW CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:59:55 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:
   80:
   40:  204    28       89
   20:  335    33      106
   15:  189    24       76
   10:   40    15       24
------------------------------
Total:  768   100      295  Total Score = 832,265

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM 756 Pro III (100W)
Antenna:   Hy-Gain AV-640 vertical (temporary mount) (no 80/160 meters)
Software:  WriteLog 10.82
Keyer:     microKEYER

It was nice to have the vertical up again, after chasing ZL8X this week with
some successes, some failures. The contest started out OK on 20m, with BY8AC as
my third QSO at 0003z.  However, I spent about half as much time on 20m at the
start as I did last year, moving to 40m after about 20 minutes.  I know that I
don't make good use of 40m out here in CO; I'm used to running EU from 2-3
hours (or more) before sunset to an hour or two after European sunrise.  The
opening here is shorter.  Before I went to bed, I had 100 QSOs in the log, well
behind last year's 150.

I got up about 5:30 a.m. local time and found a good opening to Asia with loud
JAs, and was able to get Zone 27 out of the way.  I headed to 20m earlier than
usual, and was able to run all over the band calling guys; most came back on
the first call.  I'm guessing the band wasn't as crowded as in the past because
15m was open to Europe.  I made a couple more detours to 40m, picking up BU2 and
9M6 for two double mults.  After less than an hour on 20m, I moved to 15m, but
could only keep busy for 90 minutes before heading back to 20m.  At this point,
I just kept sweeping 20m, then back to sweeping 15m, rinse and repeat.  I
checked 10m occasionally but was only able to put five double mults in the log:
PY, LU, CE, ZL8 and a very loud NL7Z, the first AK I've worked from Colorado on
10m.  I had to leave around midnight UTC for a get-together; I had about 450
QSOs in the log and 300 mults, for about 380K.  I figured I'd end up with
something like 700 QSOs and 700K when all was said and done.

I was having problems Saturday keeping the wireless-N network connected,
especially when I was on 20m.  After pulling and reinserting the USB network
adapter several times, I swapped in a wireless-G adapter, and the connection
was solid for the rest of the weekend.  I have never had this problem in a
contest before.  Other than the network, I had no glitches whatsoever with
WriteLog or the keyer this time.

When I got home at 08z, it was past Eu sunrise, but was able to pick up ON, EI,
TF and GM on 40 meters.  I also got FO8, AH0 and ZK2.  All tolled, almost 10
country multipliers and a few new zones in the hour I operated before hitting
the sack.  I also got V31BD on an otherwise dead 20 meters at 0853z.

40m at our sunrise sounded good again, but in addition to Asia, Scandinavia was
mixed in as well, and I worked OH0, SJ2, YL3 for three new mults, as well as
UP0L.  No new zones, as 24/25/27/28 were already in the log.

Sunday morning, it felt like I spent too much time on 20m (only an hour), but I
was working everyone I called for a decent S&P rate, so I kept going.  When I
got to 15m, it sounded better than Saturday, and the multipliers continued to
pile on.  This time when I checked 10m, there was something to be found most of
the day!  My first three QSOs on 10m were three more double mults: V3, HI and
HD2.  Around 16z I heard EA2EA, the first Europe I've ever heard on 10m from
here. He wasn't strong, and I called for a few minutes, but he didn't hear me.
Tuning down the band, I found CR6K around 1620z with a good signal and worked
him for my first Eu from Colorado on 10m.  I also added D4 and EA8.  In the
next hour, Zones 8 and 9 popped in and I gathered some more mults.  Around 18z
(now 2 hours after I first heard EA2EA), I worked ZD8O and three CT3s in a row.
 It was fun to see 10m alive again.  I checked 10m after sweeping 15m and 20m.
Each time I found new stuff to work.

I noticed the my 20m country count was in the mid-90s with about five hours
left in the contest.  I had never made 100 countries from home on any band
before, but I wasn't sure how much more stuff there was out there that I could
work.  I do not enjoy the Sunday afternoon pileups, and was sure I'd never get
through them.  When I saw a needed spot, I'd check first, but then stay on the
sidelines, going back to check the frequency occasionally to see if the pileup
had died down.  Some I never even bothered with like ZD8O.  I was lucky to work
ZS1EL for another double, then later HD2M for yet another double.  #100 was
VP2V, a pileup I checked for probably 15 minutes before getting involved.  The
PJ5 pileup was another one that the op eventually made it to the bottom so I
could get through.  In all, I worked 106 DX entities on 20m, way more than I
expected.

Late Sunday afternoon, I tried to spend more time on 20m working JAs, since I
had spent most of my "JA time" on 15m the previous afternoon.  I kept checking
40m for stuff to work, and was able to put a few French stations in the log
around 2245z (3:45 p.m. local time), but couldn't get anyone else to hear me.
Back to scouring 20m and 15m, and I finally went to 40m for the last time at
2320z and picked up five new mults there before the final bell sounded.

I missed the zones I usually miss (can't hear): 22, 23, 26 and 34.  I did hear
ST2AR on 15m on Saturday, but passed it up.  I never heard the others, even
when they were spotted.  I worked five all-time new entities from Colorado,
including ZL7 and 5X, so now finally over the 200 hump.

Thanks once again to everyone who patiently copied my signal, I wish I could
have a real antenna, but not in our current housing situation.

Here's the count of all the DX entities I worked during the contest - it looks
like over 120 entities, compared to 88 I worked in the Phone portion.  It's
funny how the count of JAs is pretty close on all three bands.

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    SA       0      0     22     25     31     18      96    12.5
    NA       0      0     51     71     43     14     179    23.3
    AS       0      0     34     38     25      0      97    12.6
    OC       0      0     19      9     16      1      45     5.9
    EU       0      0     65    178     61      1     305    39.7
    AF       0      0     13     14     13      6      46     6.0

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total

    4L                            1                     1
    4O                     1      1                     2
    5B                     1      4                     5
    5R                            1                     1
    5X                            1                     1
    6W                     1                            1
    8P                     1      1      1              3
    9A                     1      5      2              8
    9L                     1      1      1              3
   9M6                     1      1                     2
    9Y                            1                     1
    BV                     2                            2
    BY                            1                     1
    C5                     1      1      1              3
    C6                     2      1      1      1       5
    CE                     1      2             2       5
    CM                     1      1      1              3
    CN                     2      1      1              4
    CT                     1      3      2      1       7
   CT3                     3      3      3      3      12
    CU                     1      1      1              3
    CX                     1      1      1      2       5
    D4                            1      1      1       3
    DL                     6     25      9             40
    E7                     1      3      2              6
    EA                     6      9      9             24
   EA6                     1             1              2
   EA8                     4      3      3      1      11
   EA9                     1      1      1              3
    EI                     1      1                     2
    ER                     1      1                     2
    ES                     1      1                     2
    EU                            1                     1
     F                     6      8      7             21
    FJ                     1      1      1              3
    FM                     1      2      1      1       5
    FO                     1      1      1              3
    FS                            1      1              2
    FY                            1      2              3
     G                     3      7      4             14
    GD                            2                     2
    GJ                                   1              1
    GM                     1      4      1              6
  GM/s                            1                     1
    HA                     1      6                     7
    HB                            1      1              2
    HC                            1      1      1       3
    HI                     1      2             1       4
    HK                     1      1      1              3
 HK0/a                     1      1      1              3
     I                     2     14      5             21
   IG9                                   1              1
    IS                            1      2              3
   IT9                     1      2      2              5
    J3                     1      1      1              3
    JA                    27     23     24             74
     K                     2      1      3      3       9
   KH0                     2                            2
   KH2                     2      1      2              5
   KH6                     5      4      4             13
    KL                     1      4      3      2      10
   KP2                     1      1      1              3
   KP4                     1      1      2              4
    LA                            6                     6
    LU                     6      6      8      5      25
    LX                     1      1      1              3
    LY                            5                     5
    LZ                     1      4                     5
    OA                                   1      1       2
    OE                     1      2                     3
    OH                     3      6      1             10
   OH0                     1      1                     2
    OK                     3      5      2             10
    OM                     2      2                     4
    ON                     1      4      1              6
    OZ                            1                     1
    P4                     3      2      3      1       9
    PA                     3      4      1              8
   PJ2                     1      1      1      1       4
   PJ4                     2      1      1              4
   PJ5                     1      1                     2
    PY                     4      7     11      5      27
    PZ                     1      1      1              3
    S5                     1      6      4             11
    SM                     1      6      1              8
    SP                     3      6                     9
    SV                            1                     1
    T7                                   1              1
    TA                            1                     1
    TF                     1                            1
    TI                     1      1      1              3
    UA                     3      3                     6
   UA2                     1      1                     2
   UA9                     3      8      1             12
    UN                     1                            1
    UR                     2      3                     5
    V2                     1      1      1              3
    V3                            1      1      1       3
    V4                     1      1      1              3
    VE                    26     35     11      2      74
    VK                     3      1      2              6
  VP2E                     1      1      2              4
  VP2M                            1                     1
  VP2V                     1      1      1              3
   VP5                     1      1      1      1       4
   VP9                            1                     1
    XE                     2      5      5             12
    YL                     1      4                     5
    YN                     1      2      1      1       5
    YO                            1                     1
    YU                     1      7                     8
    YV                     2                            2
    Z3                            1                     1
    ZA                            1                     1
   ZD8                                   1      1       2
    ZF                     1      1      1      1       4
   ZK2                     1             1              2
    ZL                     3             4              7
   ZL7                                   1              1
   ZL8                     1      1      1      1       4
    ZS                            1                     1