[3830] NA Sprint CW N1L(N8XX) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N1L(N8XX) QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 16:35:44 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N1L
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: W8LRC

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Lowell, MI
Operating Time (hrs): 1

   80:   0        0
   40:  15     0:45
   20:   2     0:15
---------------------
Total:  17     Mults = 13  Total Score = 291

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC/NCC Team #2

Comments:

First NA Sprint for me, and with "different" call, N1L in honor of the "New"
country in Minnesota with "NIL" as abbreviation in ham radio contests.  And,
rather tired after >9 hours of "semi-contesting" in the
Arizona ScQRPions' FYBO <F)reeze Y)our B)... O)fff - you fill in the ... 's>
and
Minnesota Wireless Association's MNQP.

We "did ok" in the above two, but the solar flare really did a number on the
ionosphere.  Most of the contacts were with MN and MNQP style.

Coaching by the fellows in MRRC in NA-Srint strategy was to hang out on 20
metres for first hour or so, then move to 40, thence to 80.  This might have
worked if there was a normal ionospher, but, 20 was REALLY looonnngggg, and the
only areas coming in were 6's and 7's, and a QRP signal, even with a beam @ 110
feet couldn't compete with the full gallons farther east. (Thanks, W8LRC for
the use of that beauty of an antenna!)

So moved to 40 metres within 15 minutes, and things were a bit better for a
while - skip was "relatively" short, worked ND - to my great surprise.  But, by
00:30Z the herd of full gallon ops arrived, and hundreds of signals were packed
between 7025 (below 7025 KHz was occupied mainly by FOC CW contest) and the
RTTY/Olivia ops above 7040 KHz.  NIL on 80 metres - everyone was hanging out on
40, so tiredness took over.

It was fun, though - even though some folks insisted I was NN1L, N1LE, or other
variations - they didn't seem to understand what kind of a nut who would use a
1x1 call from "1" land in Michigan.  C'est le guerre!

72/73 de n8xx Hg