[3830] MnQP N0IJ Mobile Single Xmtr LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] MnQP N0IJ Mobile Single Xmtr LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 15:11:38 -0800
                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: N0IJ
Operator(s): N0IJ
Station: N0IJ

Class: Mobile Single Xmtr LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:     103       0
   40:     366       0
   20:     499       0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
-------------------------
Total:     968       0  Mults = 64  Total Score = 123,904

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Rolled out at 4:30 and on the road heading for the start at 6:00.  Roads were
fine and Terry's ol' Betsy ran fine for us, but some tell tale oil splatter on
the back was noticed at the finish, and this may well be her last MNQP.  At
275K miles, the end is probably near.  Super effort by the driver and we made
all 24 counties within a maximum deviation of 5 minutes from plan.  Our actual
time in Cook at the end was 19 minutes instead of the planned 11!   725 miles
for the day and our usual 525 during the contest.  Almost $175 in gas!

I have been pouring over the details, rates, highs/lows trying to decide if
Doug, N0EO, was correct about the North thing for the start.  All I can say was
the start was brutal and I struggled with every trick I know to do better, but
couldn't get the rate up untiil after the 4th hour.  20 came to life about 10,
but then 80 just went dead.  Even AIH was weak the last time we worked him or
KB9S on 80.  The worst came in Beltrami around 9:00--total of 12 Q's between 80
and 40 in 15 minutes.  I never went back to 80, save one check & no Q's, until
about 4:45-5:00.  I believe the condx were somewhat worse up north as we
improved as we got further south.  Our furthest south point was the southern
tip of Mille Lacs Lake.  Shortly after that, we had our best rates of the day.
I believe, also, that a bigger problem for us up north guys, was the lack of
proximity to other southerly mobiles or fixed stations that one could possibly
hear and work.

For the first time ever, I never heard another mobile, except KE0G, who called
me 2 times, and I didn't just CQ on 80 early, I looked HARD for mobiles.  I was
really counting on doing better with instate stations in that I was able to
almost totally null the engine noise from the Tahoe with the wonderful noise
blanker on the K3.  Also, with fresh batteries my noise canceling Heil headset
took out the harsh sound of the glass pack mufflers--at least until the
batteries ran down in the last hour or two.  Gotta remember that in the future.

The mult total was made up of 42 states including DC, VE 1,3,4,7 and only 18
counties.  States missed were ND, SD, MT, WY, AK, NV, AR, & LA.

Band break down was a real shocker:  102 on 80, 366 on 40, and 499 on 20.
Hourly rate break down was:
Hour #       Rate:
1                 69
2                 65
3                 83
4                 89
5                118
6                104
7                105
8                144 (my best ever hour)
9                 94
10               104

Our one 17 minute break taken in hour 5 (3 minutes), and 6 (14 minutes)

Big guns worked the most:
N4VV & N8II             24
WA3HAE & K4AMC          21
N2WN & W2RR             20
NT2A & WB8JUI           18
W7GKF                   17
N4JF, & N2CU            16
W1END, N4PN, N4UC, K4ZGB, & K8IJ       15
KO1U & W0AIH            14
W0BH, N6MU, & K4VIG     13
Probably the most fun was working Al, NH7O 11 times.

On the local side besides AIH's nifty 14, of which 4 were on 20 (only Paul!) &
5 on 40,
KB9S 11, N9NE 11, N0UR 8, KI0F 8 (in TX!).

Also fun to work Bill, W0OR/4 in FL a couple of times.
DX worked was SP5SA (5), OM2VL (3), and 3 different DL's.

This will probably be it for mobiling this year--WIQP not in the plans right
now.

It was fun!

N0IJ Team,  W0TVD, driver--N0IJ, op.