[3830] NA Sprint SSB K4BAI HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB K4BAI HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:50:32 -0800
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - February

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3:55

   80:   68
   40:   54
   20:   29
---------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC

Comments:

FT1000MP, Alpha 78, 1 KW, TH6DXX, zepp, dipole, inverted vee.  Got a 5 minute
late start due to a tennis team match and then worked the first 5 minutes on
20M with the 80M dipole by mistake.  Got things together after that.  20M was
fading fast.  Very sorry I couldn't copy all of the exchange on 20M from W2LC.
A few more backscatter QSOs there, the strongest being W9RE and KA9FOX.  Band
was open direct to NH, WTX, and the Pacific Northwest.  40M was long in that no
QSOs in that the only strong stations in the SE US were in South FL.  No signals
heard from VA or KY, but stations north of there were workable.  Pretty good
signals from the west coast, but not as many as had been on 20.  80M was pretty
good for a change with some good west coast signals (best was N6ED).  We seemed
to find channels where we could work without disturbing the ragchewers and 80M
was fun for a change even though the rate was slow.  I tried going below the DX
window (below 3790) and found that CQs about 3775 generally brought a call from
some casual operator willing to help out. Didn't hear but one or two actual
sprinters down there, but it is a good alternate to the busier frequencies
above 3800.  There were Dutch stations easily workable on both 40 and 80 for
their PACC contest.  Still fun despite the lower participation.  I think KU8E
probably got it right.  The participation in large part is down in the January
SSB Sprint because many who used to participate are now in the CQ WPX RTTY at
the same time.  Thanks for the QSOs.  Good luck to everyone in ARRL DX CW next
weekend.  We will have a M/2 effort at WW4LL with myself, KU8E, K1ZZI, W9SN,
WW4LL and WA2MBP operating.  There will be a big M/M operation at NQ4I as
usual.  73, John, K4BAI.