[3830] RTTY WPX KR7X(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kr7x1@frontier.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KR7X(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:46:13 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KR7X
Operator(s): KR7X
Station: K7ZSD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  238
   40:  365
   20:  746
   15:  368
   10:    0
------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Smoke Ranch Rides Again! Another RTTY test from Brad (K7ZSD) and Ruth's place up
in the foothills of the Coast Range above lovely Scappoose, Oregon. The food was
fantastic, the bed was great and the hospitality was 5 star what can I say it's
all good!

This test I was determined to get N1MM working with SO2R like I can work
Win-Test. In the end it worked quite well with a few operator error issues. By
the end of the test I had worked the new requirements out and was comfortable
with the software. I really like the ability to use ESM and call stacking with
the mouse clicks. This along with the use of a second decoding window with a
different profile for each radio really helped with the weak signal stations. I
used 2 decoder windows with each and the second profile was AA6YQ's 512 profile
and it provided a 5 to 10% increase in copy of signals that the main mmtty
window would not copy. At this time I plan on using N1MM for all contests as
its features keep on improving and the coders keep updating the usefulness of
the software.

The bands seemed significantly better than last year but my score was down 25%
and my Q's were down 7%. The big difference was the mults which were down 11%.
Can't blame it all on being an Old Fart.

I need to rethink my on time/off time strategy and will be asking questions of
my peers as to how they schedule their time. I used to just operate until there
were no Q's left and go to bed for 7 hours get up and go again. Maybe some
strategic thinking is necessary but right now it would hurt my head so I'll
worry about it next January (hi).

I am heartened by the increase in activity and the growing number of new
operators getting into RTTY, Keep it up; it makes it fun for all. Thanks to all
who stopped by and gave a Q to those that didn't, please improve your antennas
and get on and work me and all the others having fun on RTTY.

Ciao and 73
Hank / KR7X