[3830] ARRLDX CW W3DQ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3DQ M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:55:03 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): W2CDO, KE3X, W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:   64    46
   80:  170    63
   40:  401    87
   20:  429    84
   15:  303    82
   10:   59    31
-------------------
Total: 1426   393  Total Score = 1,680,075

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The Team DC roster was slightly modified this year. K2PS wasn't with us in body,
but his Alpha 78 was!

KE3X stepped in Saturday morning, raising us to a much higher level than W2CDO
and I had expected. Ken is a fabulous CW operator, more than making up for my
mediocre skills -- to say the least.

We were worried about 50+ winds here on Saturday, a record for this area. Lots
of antenna and tree dancing, but no power outages or anything lost (the wire
antennas are all held up by trees and the pennants' supports are tied to fence
posts).

Our QSO total was down 20% from last year, while the mults were up by 15% -- in
about 25% less operating time.

We did significantly better on all bands except 20 and 15. Our 20m Q's were
half of last year, while mults were almost the same. On 15,Q's were down by
20%, this time with more mults. And 10 was significantly better than in the
recent past.

We set a record this year by working 10 stations on all six bands -- all but
one in the Caribbean.

As is almost always the case, there's lots more work to do on the station.
After running a 500w amp for years, it was very different running with "the
"real deal." No complaints in the house or from neighbors about RFI, also a new
one! On the other hand, with not-so-great eyesight and fat fingers, the I found
using the K3 still very frustrating.

Thanks to all who suffered through my terrible CW skills and stuck with me. And
thanks to Peter, W2CDO, and Ken, KE3X, for their great operating and teaching
skills. And Pete, K2PS, who lent us his amplifier -- which we did not destroy!

See you in the next one.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC