[3830] ARRLDX CW N4ZR SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4ZR SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 03:30:40 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4ZR
Operator(s): N4ZR
Station: N4ZR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:    1     1
   40:  112    41
   20:  210    79
   15:  231    87
   10:   47    29
-------------------
Total:  601   237  Total Score = 427,311

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Spent my limited time 99% S&P with the Reverse Beacon Network, between painting
tasks on our newly remodeled bathroom.  AB5K kindly provided a beta copy of AR
Cluster 6, which incorporated some filters specifically intended to cut down on
the number of busted spots that people have complained about, particularly on
Sunday.  Preliminarily, I am blown away - I did not notice a single busted spot
while operating, and a fairly careful scan of my bandmaps late Sunday afternoon
did not find a one.  Now to review the data.

First Europeans on 10M in several years - all on southerly skew paths,
including II9T who peaked due south. Also pleasantly surprised by 6W, J5, and
ZS QSOs.

40M was another surprise - Friday afternoon I noticed high SWR on the 40M Yagi,
and a quick visual showed a loading wire had come adrift.  That left as my only
option a 40M dipole sloping North, with the top end at about 40 feet.  To my
surprise, it worked very well - I was even able to run Europeans with it, and
worked nearly everyone I called. Sure wished I had the Yagi.

Station:

K3/SB-220
N1MM Logger + RBN
stacked C-3Es at 22 and 30M
sloping 40M dipole, broken EF-240S at 32M
80M lazy vee oriented NE