[3830] ARRLDX CW N0KE SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vailphil@sopris.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N0KE SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:14:27 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N0KE
Operator(s): N0KE
Station: N0KE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Colorado USA
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8     6
   80:   50    26
   40:  113    47
   20:  171    62
   15:  195    55
   10:   33    16
-------------------
Total:  571   212  Total Score = 363,156

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Interesting that I did not look at my logs from last year until after the
contest was over (bad idea) but found that 2010 had better conditions as far as
my QRP operation went. The combined Q and M totals were QSOs 749 in 2010 vs 571
in 2011 and mults 225 vs 212 and score 505K vs 5363. The 3 hours more time in
the chair last year certainly doesn't account for all the difference with the
low QRP rates! Maybe turning 70 had something to do with it?
 I really need to get my cat Dancer more interested in CW as she faithfully
spends most of the contest in the 2nd chair and occasionally tries to make some
keyboard entries when I'm not looking. Her CW needs some work but she wouldn't
have the worst paw I heard in the contest. I did do a token SO2R, mostly to
keep and ear on 10m with the K2 and keep the main attention on 15 and 20 during
the day. I did get some QSOs on the 2nd rig by sitting on a pileup and hitting
the F4 key as I was tuning for new station on 15 or 20 with the PROIII. It was
nice to work a loud EF8S on 10m and two KH6s. I did hear a few weak scatter
signals from Europe but QRP isn't going to make that QSO. I also heard VK4EMN
and ZM1A on 10 but QRP didn't get me in the log. As for the contest and 10m I
made 6 more QSOs last year but 6 more mults this year on 10. 160, 80 and 40
were pretty much a wash with last year being a bit better on all three
combined.
    Antennas: 1/4 wave sloper 160, 4 SQ of 1/4 wave slopers on 80 (W1XE
design), 2 el KLM 40, 3 el delta for 5 bands (K0DU design) for 10, 15 and 20
plus a TA33. CR3X was the only Europe on 160 and G6PZ on 80. It was nice to
work over 20 JAs on 80.