[3830] ARRLDX CW 8P3A(VE3DZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 8P3A(VE3DZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:55:43 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 8P3A
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: 8P9NX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:  242    50
   80:  698    57
   40: 1128    57
   20: 1299    59
   15: 1203    59
   10: 1120    54
-------------------
Total: 5690   336  Total Score = 5,734,512

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

My sincere thanks to Peter 8P9NX and his XYL Priscilla for letting me come and
stay in their home. I can't express my appreciation for their help and
hospitality! Not only they took a good care of me before, during and after the
contest, but Peter also put up a beverage towards US on purpose just for me and
it helped me big time in pulling week signals on 160 and 80.
It was a very good testing of Peter's new Elecraft K3. The rig did a great job!

Other eqipment used: Alpha 91b @ 500 watts, RigExpert Standard USB Interface,
Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop and N1MM logger. No 2nd radio this time.
Antennas: AV160 for 160m, 43' vertical with external tuner for 80 and 40, TH3
tribander @ 30' for 20-15-10. Short beverage ('300') for RX.
Unfortunately the station configuration did not allow quick mulipliers moving,
especially on Low Bands - had to take few minutes to manually retune the
antenna tuner...
The bands were in great shape and I was pleasantly surprised with the
performance of the 43' vertical, especially on 40 meters. There were some
technical issues, one of them being high SWR of the TH3 on 15 meters, which
caused me to stay at the very bottom of the band and use external tuner, but
all in all I am satisfied with the performance of our "Field Day" style
station.
Lost altogether about 3 hours of operating time. Staying awake for all 48 hours
is becoming an issue to me... Getting old?
Anyway, I beat my last year's score by almost a Million points and so far this
is the best ARRL DX CW SO score for me.
Congratulations to John ZF2AM on his excellent performance once again! Looks
like all the efforts and investments into ZF1A station are finally paying off!

Now to more negative notes.
Few times in this Contest I felt like I am having a pile of dupes, being
especially heavy on Sunday afternoon. At some point I had more than 40 dupes in
1 hour!!!
When I checked the DX spots after the Contest I realized that I was spotted as
8R3A several times. Stupidity? Wait until you hear this - I was spotted as 8R3A
by fake call VE7FKM at least 3 times on 3 different bands! Why and who was doing
this - I leave it for you to decide.
I  just wish the contest sponsors would pay extra attention to those
"unassisted" guys who will have 8R3A in their LOGs...
Also, when I see scores like the one from PJ4A, I have the feeling that it's
time to quit serious contesting. I might put my contesting activity on hold for
a while, because I see absolutely no sense in competing in situation like this.
Now I understand guys like 4L5A, N6TJ and others...
Thank you to all who made it into my LOG.
Thanks for reading this.