[3830] ARRLDX CW AB1J SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AB1J SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:52:12 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:
   40:   96    58
   20:   86    44
   15:   77    44
   10:   24    14
-------------------
Total:  283   160  Total Score = 135,840

Club:

Comments:

This was sort of a shake down cruise as I made a number
of changes to my station and tried some new procedures. I wanted
to test as many things as possible, so that meant going all
bands (40-10) and assisted.  I wasn't competing which was a good
thing since WO1N went nuts in SOAB(A) LP in EMA.  Nice score, Ken.

1. I fixed my 40 & 30M crashing-the-DSL-modem problem,
so I could run assisted. I made some changes which altered the
lengths of all the telephone and Ethernet cables, changing
their resonant frequecy (I guess). I have never before run an
assisted contest where I submitted a log.  I don't expect to
operate assisted very often; it moves me into into a
rougher neighborhood where I don't have the wherewithal
(antennas, power) to compete.

2. I tackled the N1MM logger, retiring my old TR-Log.  There's
a lot to learn and I now need to plug in MMTTY.

3. I submitted my intermediate and final scores to Getscores to
see how it works. It was fun and I hope it remains available.

4. I kept my temporary 40M antenna up the whole contest, even
during a ferocious 36 hour wind storm (and a lightning storm
Saturday evening).  It stayed up and didn't break. Spring
up overnight in calm weather. I call it Dracula.

5. I temporarily installed another small laptop computer to get
more screen real estate.  Ran DX Monitor/Getscores on it and
logged on my regular computer. The desk got crowded, but it all
worked well and I'll likely do it again. Maybe some day I'll get
a more powerful computer and a big screen. I had to move my coffee
cup heater to the other side of the desk. I'll adapt.

The SFI was over 100 all weekend and conditions were good,
especially on Saturday.  No 10M openings to Europe, though, which
is my measure of truly rockin' good times.

CU in the CQ WPX CW in May.

73,
Kermit, AB1J