[3830] ARRLDX CW G5W(M0DXR) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mark.haynes@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW G5W(M0DXR) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:36:45 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: G5W
Operator(s): M0DXR
Station: G3BJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Shropshire, UK
Operating Time (hrs): 41.9

  160:  197    41
   80:  541    50
   40:  720    52
   20: 1027    59
   15:  729    52
   10:   33    18
-------------------
Total: 3247   272  Total Score = 2,649,552

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Rigs: FT-5K, K3

Antennas: Force 12 yagi (4 ele 10m, 2 ele 15m, 2 ele 20m) @ 80ft, Titanex &
Dipoles for 80/160 with K9AY RX system and beverages.

My thanks go to Don G3BJ and Hilary G4JKS for allowing me to operate from their
super station in Shropshire. They were amazing hosts, provided me with good food
and drink, and Don didn't mind me waking him at 5am to see to a techincal
problem - now that's what you call on demand support!

Congratulations to Gerry GI0RTN (op at G6PZ) for a fantastic score. Knowing
Gerry was going strong kept the motivation levels high for me. It's nice to
have domestic competition.

Propagation was very interesting. 10m did not really provide what we hoped for
having had the previous weeks excellent openings. Don really has the ticket
when it comes to 160. I've never known receiving antennas to work as well as
the K9AY and beverages at 'BJ. The location is a very quiet one, which really
helps on the low bands.

The best hour was a 192 on the evening of day 1 on 20m. Very good signals to
the west coast at this time.

At the end of the contest, I did my traditional listen to 3830 which is the
venue for the exchange of the Multi-Multi USA claimed scores. All I can say is
WOW. K3LR and W3LPL exchanged the QSOs and DXCCs by band followed by the
overall bottom line. All the band numbers were quite different between the two
stations, so we were a little surprised when they claimed exactly the same
number of total QSOs, exactly the same number of multipliers and, you guessed
it, exactly the same overall score! How amazing! I have since been informed
that 'LPL has removed 3 QSOs from the log after a check - it just goes to show
how important every single QSO is.

There is so much work that goes in to keeping a contest station maintained and
preparing it for the big event, and more often than not I rely on my host for
this. Thank you again to Don for a super fun weekend. Roll on the next one...

73,

Mark Haynes, M0DXR