[3830] NAQP RTTY K3FIV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY K3FIV Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 23:14:09 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA CM88eu
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   79    27
   40:  140    45
   20:   67    32
   15:   35    20
   10:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  325   128  Total Score = 41,600

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 3

Comments:

Rig: Flex-3000, N1MM/MMTTY
Ant: 135' OCF dipole at 35'

Despite the fact that I loaded new versions of all software on Friday,
everything worked fine during the contest, except occasionally the operator,
who still hits the wrong keys at times.

With just a wire antenna, I don't win pileups on 20/15/10, and many people
can't hear me, but there was a lot of activity so plenty of stations to work.
CQing wasn't as productive as S&P, so I mostly scanned back and forth on the
bands working everything new.  Couldn't manage to get Fidel's attention though.
 But I did get a couple of JAs who were CQing for NAQP.

I went to 40 before dusk, and it turned out to be the best band for me.
Signals on 80 weren't as strong as usual, but 40 seemed fine.  Spent the last
hour back on 80 and it was pretty amazing.  I managed a short run at a 90+
rate, which has never happened before.  Too bad the contest didn't run more in
the dark hours!

Copy seemed pretty good.  I hardly ever had to ask for fills, except when I
managed to have AFC accidentally off when it shouldn't have been.  Still
learning how to use MMTTY and N1MM in RTTY conditions.  But the Flex worked
great, especially the filtering.  I just used a 250Hz filter all the time, and
kept the panadapter display showing 30 KHz or so to keep track of what was
going on around the band.

Didn't hear any NA countries except US and Canada.  It seemed like this wasn't
a very popular contest with DX stations - the 2 JAs I worked were the only DX
heard.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV
- just a radio and a wire -