[3830] NAQP RTTY K8GU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ethan@k8gu.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY K8GU Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 04:34:00 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): ~3

   80:   36    21
   40:   58    27
   20:   35    18
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  129    66  Total Score = 8,514

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC #1

Comments:

This was only my second time on RTTY and as a long-time TRLog user, one of only
a few contests I've done with N1MM.  I'll say that it went a lot better this
time than the last, although I was still a pretty big lid.

I normally contest with two TS-930s.  Prior owners (who were CW contest/DX
types like myself) made various "improvements" to them, most of which I
appreciate, but I have no idea how they affect FSK.  One radio simply does not
work on FSK (need to look into this) and the other has the passband shifted
about 50-100 Hz off-center of the normal RTTY frequencies.  So, when I was
running AFC in MMTTY, it would "walk" to the point that having a lock on the
other station would put me at the edge of their passband.  I had a terrible
time making QSOs for the first hour until K0TI told me I was off-frequency
(thanks, Dan!!!) and then I started paying attention to all of the numbers in
MMTTY and turned off the AFC, which had some deleterious effects that I
overcame thanks to the occasional repeat.  Typical analog op becomes digital
lid op.

The principal mission in this outing (just planned Friday afternoon) was to get
a good start on my way to the RTTY portion of Triple Play from the Maryland QTH.
 Provided everyone uploads (I've heard you all are really good about this), I
picked up the first 38 states.  However, in an act of poor planning, I did not
export a Trusted QSL .p12 file on my MacBook before my wife took it to a
conference...so, no instant gratification!

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and your patience!  I will probably join you in
some more RTTY contests now and then...

73,

--Ethan, K8GU/3.
http://www.k8gu.com/