[3830] WPX SSB KG0F(W0UA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ua@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KG0F(W0UA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:30:39 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KG0F
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1367
   15: 1097
   10:   38
------------

Club:

Comments:

A very strange weekend.  A week before the contest Chuck's superb 3 element 40
came down in one big piece resulting from bolt-failure in the boom-to-mast
hardware.  He was outside at the time, looking at the one-half of his 80 Meter
reflector that the same windstorm had detached from his 3 element 80.  He was
fortunate not to become collateral damage as the wind flipped that monster over
and chucked it (no pun intended)off the mast in his direction.

Anyway, sans the low bands I thought I'd try another 20 Meter-thing as 20 has
been good to me the last couple of years.  Bad choice!  It was stultifying,
like watching paint dry.  But I kept at it for the first 24 hours.  Several
times I actually worked stations east of Omaha--but they were weak.  Around 0Z
on Saturday I took a "quick listen" on 15.  The first thing I heard was S9+
BA6T calling unanswered CQ's.  That did it, that was more than I could resist.
20 Meters?  What 20 Meters?  The hell with it, let's have some fun!
So I pretty-much spent Sunday on 15 with occasional forays to 10 and back to
20.  In retrospect I think it was the right decision as 15 provided some
excitement that 20 just couldn't muster.  Wonder what 40 was like?

So, I was able to take a 3rd-rate single band score and make of it a 2nd-rate
all band thing.  In the words of that great philosopher Mick Jagger: "You can't
always get what you want...but if you try sometimes...you might find...you get
what you need..."

The rebuilt 40 is almost ready to resume its rightful place on Chuck's
ridgetop, hence proving another old saying:  "What comes down must go up..."