[3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:33:16 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:   30    12
   80:  101    40
   40:   87    34
   20:  230    45
   15:  187    39
   10:  130    30
-------------------
Total:  765   200  Total Score = 153,000

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Team: Orca NAQPod

Comments:

Found 80M and 40M weaker than last year, and 15M and 10M weren't nearly as
strong as I had expected.

Taking my 2 hours off was like figuring out a jigsaw puzzle. Took half an hour
in the mid-afternoon (2212z). I stayed on 20M longer than I intended, before
heading to 40M at 0030z for half an hour then taking a 1.5 hour break. By the
time I got back on at 0247z, 40M was toast and I only had 87 Qs and 34 mults
there (vs. 157Qs and 42 mults last year). Ouch.

80M was in rough shape most of the night, but improved a bit in the final hour
or so. Managed to just squeak past 100Qs there, but it was hard work. Last
year, I had 171 Qs and 43 mults on 80, so that band just wasn't as strong
tonight. I guess a lot of ops ran straight through and skipped the last couple
of hours, as activity was much thinner after 0400z.

160M was slightly better, with 13 more contacts and one extra mult over last
year. Didn't expect to get much at all there with just a few short radials for
the 160M inverted-L. A fix is in the works, come springtime.

Ended up pushing my best-ever 2011 score by 23,000 points, 14 mults and 63
QSOs. Had expected more, but the low bands were the difference, dragging me
down :)

Sure was fun during daylight from here. Happy to finally reach 200 mults in
this event. Also happy with what the 3-element Steppir + 40 dipole managed at
27' -- makes me wonder what it would have done with the tower cranked up. Will
have to try that next time if the wind doesn't blow.

Now for some rest and some NFL action on Sunday.

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.orcadxcc.org
http://www.va7st.ca/home.html

Year  Qs   Mults  Score  January NAQP CW
========================
2012: 765  200   153,000
2011: 702  186   130,572
2010: 735  164   120,540