[3830] NAQP SSB K3FIV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K3FIV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:54:52 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA CM88eu
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:    0     0
   80:   42    13
   40:   65    25
   20:   32    24
   15:   24    17
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  163    79  Total Score = 12,877

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Rig: Flex-3000
Ant: 135' Carolina Windom @ 30 feet, all bands

With my wire antenna, I knew the poor conditions were going to be tough.
Signals were weak, and also jumping up and down by 20 dB or so.   Hmmmm, my SWR
is jumping up and down too - how does propagation do that.....?  What's going
on...?

So, I quickly developed a new contesting technique.  Struggle to make a contact
or two on 15/20, get 'em in the log, then go out and take the antenna down and
replace a bad connector.  Haul it back up in the air and try again.  Repeat 3
times (yes, I know I should have checked them all the first time).

By the time it got dark, things worked a lot better, and 40/80 was reasonable
although pretty noisy.  The winter NAQPs are better for me.  There's just not
enough darkness time at this QTH overlooking the Pacific during the summer
months.

Thanks for getting me to finally check out the antenna.  Five+ years up in the
air less than a mile from the ocean seems to be about the limit, even with good
weatherproofing.

CU in the California QSO Party from MENDocino County!  October 5-6.

/Jack de K3FIV