[3830] FlQP N4GI/M M/SCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.plumblee@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP N4GI/M M/SCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:22:46 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: N4GI/M
Operator(s): N4GI WF3C
Station: N4GI/M

Class: M/SCW LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 19.5

   40:   114
   20:  2091
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  2205    0  CW Mults = 71  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 626,220

Club: Man Cave Contest Consortium

Comments:

Thanks again to N4GI for providing the truck, rig, and antenna(s) for our
operation. I provided the computer and route planning, or should I say
"planning."

Early counts have us missing four counties that were on my overly-aggressive
itinerary: SEM, ORA, LAK, and OSC. Preliminary count shows a total of 41
counties activated.

It's no coincidence that SEM, ORA, LAK, and OSC were at the ends of each day's
activity plans. Both routes looked to be in the neighborhood of 9.5 hours
driving. I assumed that all our stops (for gas, food, and to operate in
counties where we would spend only a short time) would be a lot shorter than
they turned out to be. Traffic on some of the rural roads also turned out to be
problematic.

It's valuable experience. Last year, we made only a modest effort at planning a
route and stuck close to the interstate for the entire day Sunday. This year we
crisscrossed I75 and I10 regularly to add counties. I'll have more realistic
expectations next year and will attempt to pick up a few more counties and
300-400 more QSOs.

Finally, apologies for the slow CW speed at the beginning of the contest on
Saturday. I eliminated some speed changes within the messages at the very
beginning of the contest, and I got the speed as fast as I could. However,
there is apparently an upper limit on the speed within the WinKey dialog within
CQ/x that was set at 26wpm. As soon as Blake sat down to operate about 5 hours
in to the contest he said that we would have to speed up the keying or he was
going home. He was able to figure out the problem with CQ/x and get the speed
up above 30wpm. I had loaded the messages and verified that keying worked, but
don't have a mobile HF rig so didn't actually play the messages through
anything with sidetone, so didn't verify that setting the speed at 32wpm didn't
actually make the program send at 32wpm.

Thanks to all the out of state stations who make mobile operation such a
pleasure.

Rig: IC7000
Ant: Hamsticks mounted on a truck toolbox
Software: CQ/x on a Dell D630 laptop running Windows 7

Thanks to the following stations for 20+ QSOs:

VE3DZ(41)
K9CT(38)
K9NW(38)
VE3KZ(38)