[3830] ARRL FD K5YAA/M 1C HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K5YAA/M 1C HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 01:30:27 +0000

  2.3:    0      0      0
  3.4:    0      0      0
  5.7:    0      0      0
  10G:    0      0      0
  24G:    0      0      0
----------------------------

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Field Day 2014. Another FB gathering of revelers all over the country. During my
run in the mobile I would now and then envision the set ups that were being
used. Grills, tents, generators and rope guyed towers and antennas. Some on
mountain tops, in state parks and many with a lake in view. Heat and bugs down
South and especially under the mesquite tree groves of Texas.  Spent some time
in those kind of groves many years ago trying to be in the shade during the 105
degree summers of Texas. Weather here in Oklahoma was near perfect for FD with
the exception of one hard downpour on Saturday afternoon. Rolled up the windows
and turned on the A/C for maybe an hour and kept on pounding.

The mobile played well. 20 meters was the band here. 15 had some good activity
and I even found a few folks on 10 meters Sunday, late morning.  Was, to my
happiness, able to find and keep a run frequency all the time.  Had difficulty
pulling out a few on 10 due to heavy QSB so apologize to you mountain toppers
with that 1/2 a watt and wire. Just couldn't copy well enough to log you on 10.
No particular QSO stands out.  Some very good CW ops in the field.  40 meter SSB
had stations wall to wall. I felt feeble when I went up there and left after
making only a few Qs. Just didn't have it in me to fight the QRM. Found 20 and
even 15 SSB to be a bit more comfortable. I had N5M and KC7SNO on my list of
needy stations to work and was snatched up by N5M on 40 CW when I went to test
that band Saturday afternoon late. The guys driving that call sign were in
training for the WRTC event. Seemed to me they were on the ball and caught me
with that second radio quickly.  KC7SNO had another op in training. He's been
training for years at that CW stuff.  One of these times he will get it down!
So I worked everybody on my short list. Had a number of folks say my name - so
I know some of the professionals were out there showing the crowds how CW is
done.
Randy W5UE at NA5NN took the mic to say hello on 40 SSB. The best QSO I had up
there on 40 SSB. Nice to hear him after a few years.

There were some monster gatherings. 28A 10F are two that come to mind. Several
9, 8 and 7 somethings too.  Takes quite a crew to set up that many rigs.  I
imagine those sites had cooks and many onlookers. Fun stuff.

On to WRTC and the ARRL Centennial in a short ten days or so.  Another FB
operating event the WRTC. Looking forward to meeting the ops and the visitors.
A visit to Headquarters is a once in a lifetime happening so I am looking
forward to the Centennial gathering. The FD run let me test my endurance in the
mobile. 17 hours was near my limit. Will have to see if I can stretch that to 24
for the IARU test. Maybe with a bit of East Coast seafood I can get that 17 up
to 24.

Thanks to all who gave me a call in FD. Another fine event in the world of
ARRL.

73, Jerry K5YAA

Rig: K3, Tarheel antenna, 600w solid state amp and the same old Dell laptop
running N1MM software.